ruggr10
Green Thumb

Spuds in Buckets? Help me out...

My wife teaches 4th grade and she got a lesson on growing potatoes in garden tote buckets indoors starting now in Maine. She'd like to do it in her classroom.

I don't think it will work. Her room has 2 windows next to each other. It does face south east but it doesn't seem to make sense to me. She says it will.

I told her I would post it on here and go with what you guys thought.

Help me out.

The Bearded Farmer

It will ptobably work but they will grow much slower than outdoors obviously. I would go for a fingerling variety,, they generally don't need as much space.

I'm assuming you mean the 20 gal totes with the rope handles on the side?

ruggr10
Green Thumb

The tote is those rubbery handled totes... I think. And smaller than 20 gallon.

applestar
Mod

I don't think I've ever tried growing potatoes in a shady location.
I think she's going to need supplemental light on a timer.

The other issue is it'll never get as hot indoors as it would outdoors under full sun.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

A potato makes a beautiful pot plant. I can't guess whether it will produce any tubers though.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Hard to say if it will produce any tubers. I have grown them in pots before. But that was outside. Inside with only window light and cooler temps it will be a struggle in my opinion.

Honestly I do think it should produce small tubers but nothing speacial. By small I mean around pea size.

Let us know how it turns out.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

I figured that they'd be tiny too if she got any at all. Not the answer my wife wanted to hear so we'll see if she goes through with it.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Whoa now don't count your tuners before they set. LOL This is an experiment right. I would go through with it. You never know what might happen. I had fresh tomatoes in Jan from a bad facing window this year.

Thinking more about this. You said there was 2 south facing windows. The warmth problem could be overcome with heating mats or at the very least incandescent lights. Don't give up it will be fun for the kids if nothing else

applestar
Mod

I think it would be interesting to have two identical containers.

One with nothing more than the seed potato and the soil mix/mulch, the other with the side of the container wrapped in bubble wrap and black plastic or landscape cloth to hold in warmth and with some kind of overhad supplemental light (an overhead large 12" reflector utility light with a larger size like 30W daylight CFL bulb adjusted to the height of the foliage might do)

They should get as identical care as possible and start with same size (weight) with same number of eyes seed potato. Initially water same measured amount of water, etc. though most likely one will grow bigger and faster and will need more water more frequently.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

There you go Apple add a little difficulty for one. It's really not an experiment without a placebo.

But really I got myself thinking today when I posted earlier. It might be something to try, over winter in the house. I have heating mats. :idea:)

But please let us know what comes of this. People grow potatoes in all kinds of werid stuff, inside would be a nice angle.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

ahhh, being in central PA, I actually intentionally plant potatoes in a spot that goes to shade mid-morning . . . the heat doesn't whack 'em quite so soon.

and "our" heat is not nearly what other areas experience.

but, they won't take a frost, and they don't like blazing heat - one risks pushing the envelope on each end. so I plant later, and in the semi-shady spots.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”