brandon558
Cool Member

round up in the garden

I dug grass up to extend my garden this year and the grass is already starting to make its way back in. I don't have a tiller so thats not an option.

I was wondering if I spray round up to kill the grass will it affect the soil in the garden? This may be a dumb question but again its only my second year doing this.

I wouldnt be planting in that area for another couple of weeks. Is it safe for me to spray, wait a few days, remove the grass, and plant in two to three weeks?

Thanks

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Don't mind me. I'll just sit over here and watch. :wink:

Eric

Wannabeegreen

Wouldn't it be better to replace as much as possible were the grass was with new topsoil? It all depends on the killer you use on the grass but I think how most of them work is by stopping the chlorophyll action of the grass. To do same thing naturally get some black plastic roll and put on the area you want to kill the grass for a week or so, no sunlight = no photosynthesis, so no grass and no unwanted chemicals :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Eric's comment refers to the fact that lots of us organic gardeners around here don't really think Round up is safe for people or the environment.

Here's a thread with lots of links to info about it:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13668&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=roundup&start=0

and one with a lot of info in it:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7787&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

If you are turning an area of lawn into garden/flower beds, etc. , it helps to put edging around it to keep the grass from spreading back in from the outside. Mulching your beds helps stop grass that's left in the bed from re-sprouting.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Wannabeegreen wrote:Wouldn't it be better to replace as much as possible were the grass was with new topsoil? It all depends on the killer you use on the grass but I think how most of them work is by stopping the chlorophyll action of the grass. To do same thing naturally get some black plastic roll and put on the area you want to kill the grass for a week or so, no sunlight = no photosynthesis, so no grass and no unwanted chemicals :)
Why not simply turn over the area you want to use as garden space, make your beds/rows etc., between them use some cardboard boxes cut to fit the area or several layers of newspaper in that area. Then get some leaves, grass clippings, other organic material and put it on top of the cardboard/newspaper to hold it down and act as a mulch. Over time, this will compost and by the time you want to plant your next crop of vegetables, simply turn the stuff back into the garden.

This keeps the grass down, helps preserve moisture and adds vital material to the soil. On top of your rows, just mulch heavily to keep weeds at bay once your plants are established.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”