KeriFord

Getting it there...slowly!

for the past couple days I've been trying to it get all ready to go. Tomorrow afternoon I should be ready for planting.

I couldn't wait and put my flowers in first...then had to walk around them as I worked.
[img]https://oi42.tinypic.com/vx0rag.jpg[/img]

And here's where I got to! I have a couple short rows along the back to get. was a little wet back there.

[img]https://oi39.tinypic.com/2lvfddw.jpg[/img]

Last summer was horribly hot and very dry. I'm hoping the newspaper will keep the ground a little damp and help with the weeds. hard to pull when the heat index is 115*! as my son says "it's too hot for this. let's go back inside"

Christmas wish list: a tiller that makes rows! I'm not sure how I didn't get that on my wish list last year after working a shovel then.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

What I can see looks good.

May I recommend fertilizer on your pictures, they could grow a little. :>

115* I'm staying here.

Eric

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Looking good keep at it slowly but surely it will get done. We still have some time. The early warming has us al a bit confused, even the plants. :?

Mulch and lots of it will help with those pesky weeds. I put lots of graa clippings on my garden. Hay or whatever will work as well. It is a whole lot better than pulling. If not that hoing is an easier way to deal with them.

KeriFord

DoubleDogFarm wrote:What I can see looks good.

May I recommend fertilizer on your pictures, they could grow a little. :>

115* I'm staying here.

Eric
thanks and LOL Next time I won't reduce their size!

KeriFord

gixxerific wrote:Looking good keep at it slowly but surely it will get done. We still have some time. The early warming has us al a bit confused, even the plants. :?

Mulch and lots of it will help with those pesky weeds. I put lots of graa clippings on my garden. Hay or whatever will work as well. It is a whole lot better than pulling. If not that hoing is an easier way to deal with them.
last year I had straw and it kept a lot back for while. I'm undecided what I"m putting down this year. we already found a baby snake in our yard. between the wet ground and added mulch, I don't want them thinking it's a comfy bed! I know I'll need to do something though.

rkunsaw

What kind of snake? My wife found a baby black snake in her flower garden. I like having Harmless snakes around,especially black and king snakes.I don't want those poisonous critters though.

KeriFord

rkunsaw wrote:What kind of snake? My wife found a baby black snake in her flower garden. I like having Harmless snakes around,especially black and king snakes.I don't want those poisonous critters though.
no idea. was too small to tell. that's the husband's department. I put a bucket on it and weighed it down until he got home.

I don't mind the harmless snakes. Not that I want them on my porch (yep) or slithering by like they're looking for a way under my house (seen it) or find them curled up on top of my dryer (oh yeah) but the kid is only 5 and he's not real good about remembering to watch his step. and this one was right under his clubhouse. we do get the dangerous ones--rattlesnakes and water moccoasins. So they just need to all go away and not play in my yard .

KeriFord

got my rows finished today and two batches of onions in (I already forgot what kind. a red one (texas something?) and a white (georgia something?). I put the garlic back in that I pulled up a few days ago. When I pulled the garlic up, I let them sit in a big mason jar. after about 2 1/2 days of sitting in the water/sunshine, they finally started looking a bit droopy. I had some liquid fertilizer so I put that in the water to tug them alone to today. the stems are still standing well, so I'm crossing fingers.

I also found fire ants in a couple places while planting. :evil: I put the garlic all over those because best I could remember garlic was good for pests. will do a search to see what else I can do. last thing I want is fire ants making a snack out of my ankles!

KeriFord

KeriFord wrote: I also found fire ants in a couple places while planting :evil:
Cinnamon seems to be the thing. perfect, because somehow I have about 4 containers of the stuff. I sprinkled heavy tonight...in the dark. can't wait to check in the morning. also found instant grits. I'll try that too if they're still there.

Brant

115? That's downright chilly.

KeriFord

Brant wrote:115? That's downright chilly.
I know! if we didn't have the humidity suffucating the breath out of your lungs, you'd have to wear a coat!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

:lol: Here in Washington 65* is T-shirt weather. 8) Come-on 65*

Eric

KeriFord

DoubleDogFarm wrote::lol: Here in Washington 65* is T-shirt weather. 8) Come-on 65*

Eric
It's been about that in the morning and I've been wearing tshirts to take the kid school. but I can't do it without the heater on in my car!

KeriFord

Finally got all my sprouts! 41 came up and I very carefully got them moved and set in a leftover tray before their roots were all twisted. I just used a big spoon, dipped completely under them and moved them that way.

[img]https://a.yfrog.com/img863/2459/i3pmq.jpg[/img]

Now the trick is not killing them until they get big enough for the ground. :)

note for next year: took about 10full days for them to come up. Some were planted too deep.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

First, I like you She-Devil avatar better. :lol:

They are a little leggy and pale. More light please.

Eric

KeriFord

DoubleDogFarm wrote:First, I like you She-Devil avatar better. :lol:

They are a little leggy and pale. More light please.

Eric
LOL I changed out the twitter avatar too for a baby picture related to a blog we did just for today. within minutes I was asked why I had a creepy avatar now. :)

we had a little sun this evening but all this weekend we're back in the eighties with mostly sunny skies. they'll be out there tomorrow as soon as it's out!

thanks!

KeriFord

Got about 25 potato plants in today. I think they're all Yukon Gold, but I really have no idea. they all taste the same when dripping with butter. 8)

I have 6 more to get in that need to get a callous on one side. If you saw my other moldy post. I did find a new bag at the store. I planted the new ones and also the ones that were still good.

my 40 or so tomato seedlings all look good after a day by the window and outside. thought I lost 4 of them, but turns out they were thirsty and they perked up.

I have about 6 bell peppers sprouting in the plastic bag w/wet napkin thing. hopefully over the rest of the weekend they'll really get busy. then on to the cucumbers!

KeriFord

Last 6 potato plants are in the ground. done with those for the moment until they sprout up and require more dirt.

And I already have my corn sprouting out of the ground. I forgot how fast that started coming up last year! And I *think* I have one of my sunflowers sprouted too. it could be an evil weed tho. will have to wait and see. :)

The first couple bell pepper seeds really popped open in the baggie, but has since slowed down. I've so far gotten 5 total sprout open.

Today I'm bagging up my cucumbers.

KeriFord

so yesterday I posted that I was bagging up my cucumber seeds to sprout. I did. I thought they'd be in that plastic sack on top of my freezer for about a week (cause my bell peppers are STILL in the bag. slowly opening one at a time). boy was I wrong! A little over 12 hours later and...

[img]https://a.yfrog.com/img738/4691/57010894.jpg[/img]

92 of them. they're all planted in anything I could get them in. cut up paper towel rolls, cut up cereal boxes. they'll stay that way until I get the first set of real leaves (true leaves I think they're called?). if they all live, I'll be poking them in the garden whereever I can stick them and probably giving some away too!

paigej

Hi :)

I'm really enjoying following the progress of your garden and seedlings. I also started cucumbers a couple days ago in a paper towel and those things pop out roots so quickly!

KeriFord

paigej wrote:Hi :)

I'm really enjoying following the progress of your garden and seedlings. I also started cucumbers a couple days ago in a paper towel and those things pop out roots so quickly!
thanks, Paige! Next year I'll enjoying having this timeline so I know what takes how long! I wasn't even planning to check my cucumbers until probably wednesday. color me surprised when I grabbed the wrong bag down

KeriFord

all 92 of my cucumbers are little sprouts!

And so far I haven't killed any of my sprouted tomatoes.

it's a win-win for the day. .:)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Keep it up your are off to a good start.

applestar
Mod

Is it still too cold to sow the cukes in the garden?
Try sowing them out there covered with 2L soda bottles with bottoms cut off (no cap).

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

My Grandfather tought me how to hold the moisture in the garden soil during the hot summer. After the garden has been planted, when it is time to till weeds DO NOT till deep. You till only about 1" deep this leaves a dusty powder soil on the surface that acts like insulation. The sun shines on the dry surface soil and does not evaporate the moisture. The moisture comes to the surface but does not extend past the dusty powder soil on the surface.

I know what your saying about heat index, it has been very hot. Humidity here in Tennessee is always high and heat index is always above 100 in the summer. It feels like 140 degees most days.

I just returned from a month in Arizona standing under a shade tree is cold until the temperature gets up to about 90 degrees. 110 deg weather in AZ feels much nicer than 80 deg weather in TN.

KeriFord

gixxerific wrote:Keep it up your are off to a good start.
thanks!
applestar wrote:Is it still too cold to sow the cukes in the garden?
last year I put them in around this time and they really really struggled. my grandma said it wasn't warm enough for them yet. I'd like to wait until they have their first set of true leaves, I think, so they'll be stronger. the night time lows are getting between 55-65. I put them outside during the day, move them back inside at night.

If I can get a couple bottle tops, I'll try that with a few. Not like I don't have enough plants to experiment with LOL
Gary350 wrote: My Grandfather tought me how to hold the moisture in the garden soil during the hot summer.

I just returned from a month in Arizona standing under a shade tree is cold until the temperature gets up to about 90 degrees. 110 deg weather in AZ feels much nicer than 80 deg weather in TN.
I'll keep that in mind, thanks! last year I was in mid-Ohio in the middle of summer. I sat outside the airport and was so comfortable and a little cool. temps were high 80s or thereabouts. The person who picked me said she couldn't believe I was outside in the heat! I just laughed...this isn't heat.

KeriFord

whew! think I'm finally catching a break from birthdays, holidays, school extras and my writing deadlines. Was glad to get back in my garden today for more than a few moments of pulling up grass trying to inch in.

all the cucumbers are finally in the ground. the ones (set A) I put in the ground a week or so earlier look better than the ones I put outside during the day/inside at night(set B) until today while waiting for first true leaves.

set A has a stronger stem and really rich, dark green leaves. these are hardly bothered by the wind.

set B are taller, weakish steam and lighter green. Some look better than others. The wind currently has these guys down on their side.

I put in stake/net stuff to brace my cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes.

I have 3 watermelon's going. I put one in the ground today. The other two are in a bigger temp container and so far are getting big and strong that way.

My corn is just shooting up. looks like I have room for a few more rows, so I'll be poking a few more of those seeds in the ground soon.

I've gotten 2 strawberries off my 3plants so far. small, but tasty. Currently have a small bundle of flowers on each plant now. :D

The potatoes that were flooded look...exactly the same. just a hole with soupy looking mud in there. still waiting to see if they're going to do anything or if they died. Is there something I can plant between those potatoes so the space isn't wasted incase they don't make it or that can survive the tight quarters if they do come up? the potatoes are planted about a foot apart. I have sunflowers I can poke in unless they'll shade the potatoes too much?

KeriFord

after a couple week outside, most of my cucumbers look happy to be alive. a couple of them remind me of teens with their face staring at the dirt and wondering, "why me?", but they're not dead.

Last night I goofed and forgot to bring in the last tray of seedlings I have. It rained. They were underwater. drained 'em off, brought them in and put on a heating pad to hopefully dry some of that out. not sure how they're going to turn out.

And my overrun jasmine in the front is covered in blooms. The window is open and it smells WONDERFUL.

when we go outside this afternoon, I'll try to grab some more pictures!

KeriFord

quick update! (can school let out please so life will slow down a hair?)

[img]https://a.yfrog.com/img875/2251/b2cxz.jpg[/img]
I rigged up something to protect my watermelons from the deer. the netting is attached on one side and just tucked under on the other so I can pull it back, pull weeds, replace. I hope it's as easy as it sounds!

[img]https://a.yfrog.com/img620/8012/fe4nq.jpg[/img]
I think these are the roma tomatoes. :) I have 4plants and they're all putting off fruit!

[img]https://a.yfrog.com/img857/6584/guyeo.jpg[/img]
cucumbers. this spot right here must be the sweet spot for cucumbers because these few have really shot up like crazy in comparison to the other ones surrounding them.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

KeriFord wrote:whew!

Is there something I can plant between those potatoes so the space isn't wasted incase they don't make it or that can survive the tight quarters if they do come up? the potatoes are planted about a foot apart. I have sunflowers I can poke in unless they'll shade the potatoes too much?

thats where I plant my Brussel Sprouts it works out pretty good potatoes grow low Sprouts grow up. I have to be careful digging the potatoes because the Sprouts stay untill after a frost or 2

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”