Durgan
Cool Member

Brussel Sprouts Pictures and Growing Method. My experience.

https://xrl.us/pwbn

1 August 2006. First picking of brussel sprouts. I pick the lower sprouts and remove the associated leaves. It seems to make the later sprouts more compact. There are 15 plants and they are all in excellent shape. Observing while washing and trimming the sprouts there were no bugs present.

They grow well in my garden and can be left even after snowfall; in fact, freezing seems to cause little change in flavour in Zone 5. All the plants were about as perfect as they can be. I give the plants a bit of support with a rebar to keep the stem straight.

This is the second year for growing brussel sprouts. They are started as seedlings and put into the garden as early as possible about April 15 if the weather is reasonable in Zone 5. It appears they can take a bit of frost as young plants. The plants get rather large so leave about 2 feet spacing. Even scrawny seedlings perk up and grow into healthy plants.

https://xrl.us/s6yg 12 November 2006 almost the end.

Durgan.

Roger

nice looking plants !

I tried them for the first time last year, and mine did not do near as well. I waited too long to plant them and the summer heat hindered them somewhat. I think my yield was about half of what your pictures show, though they grew to be quite tall.

Durgan
Cool Member

Roger wrote:nice looking plants !

I tried them for the first time last year, and mine did not do near as well. I waited too long to plant them and the summer heat hindered them somewhat. I think my yield was about half of what your pictures show, though they grew to be quite tall.
I had twelve plants and a lot of sprouts. They take a long time to mature completely 6 Months or more, also they can be left in after the frost arrives; in fact, some people say they taste better after a frost, which I doubt-meaning there is no difference, but everyone to their own.
Durgan.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”