stella1751
Greener Thumb

The Great Garlic 2-in-1 Experiment

Last November, Eric sent me a box of lovely Music garlic. I've been wanting to try this kind of garlic for a couple of years now. However, the ground was frozen solid by the time it arrived, so I stuck the box in the fridge and hoped for the best.

I pulled the box out yesterday and planted them. They were really in pretty good shape, despite their long storage. About a third of the cloves were either dessicated or mushy, but there were three or four dozen decent ones left. I really hadn't thought they would do that well, but I think it helped that I left them in the box, which protected them from the humid refridgerator air.

Now I get to see what will happen. When I posed this question in the forum last fall, no one really knew what might happen. Someone suggested I might just get one big clove from each. That will work. If so, I can always replant the big cloves this October, and I'll have 2013 Music garlic.

Here's something else I was thinking while I planted them. What if I just left them there and never dug them up? What would garlic do on its own if just left in the same spot for two seasons? It seems like it would do the same thing as any other bulb, like an iris, and just grow again, with a massive bulb the following spring. Has anyone tried this, accidentally or otherwise?

I'll need to first see whether they survive. On the plus side, if they haven't come up by the end of May, I can use the spot for something else, like corn, so all the experiment cost me is the effort in planting 8)

applestar
Mod

What if I just left them there and never dug them up? What would garlic do on its own if just left in the same spot for two seasons? It seems like it would do the same thing as any other bulb, like an iris, and just grow again, with a massive bulb the following spring. Has anyone tried this, accidentally or otherwise?
I do that inadvertently every year. Due to my clay subsoil, their necks sometimes don't dry well in the ground unless I heave the bulbs up with a fork a few day before harvesting, and they break off unkess I carefully dig them out. (they do actually "pull" out in the best prepared beds)

So, what happens is the bulb gets lost underground. I think top of the cluster does open out a little bit. Then the cloves ALL grow shoots. I think they would then be too crowded to form nice sized cloves if they form cloves, so either a cluster of single bulbs and/or some separated into small to tiny cloves. If those tiny clove bulbs re left in the ground, next year, pitiful wimpy shoots grow from all those tiny cloves.

If you know for sure that the spring-planted garlic only grew a single big clove, THEN they would grow multiple larger cloves if left in the ground. Only issue maybe that they might have heaved up or burrowed deeper during the season and may not be at the optimum depth? (but then, it's not like I'm measuring the depth with a ruler as I plant either :lol: ). Another downside is that the ground would have settled and not be as loose, and you wouldn't be adding amendments deeper in the ground as at initial planting time.

So, varietal differences aside, I guess the larger cloves ARE result of human intervention and agri/horticultural cultivation.

It would be interesting to see what happens to them if you leave some of these in the ground.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Hah! The first part of the experiment was a raging success, thanks to Eric's superb preparation of these bulbs. After sitting in my refrigerator for at least 5 months, these Music garlic cloves were nevertheless viable. This morning I have at least a half-dozen shoots. And they're not just little "oh, is this the right place?" tentative peeks. These puppies are as tall as two inches in just one day!

What's fascinating to me is that even the last row has a fellow poking up. I saved all the questionable cloves for that row, so I have high hopes for the entire bed.

It's now only three to four weeks behind my fall-planted garlic. It'll be a while yet before I know whether I get a full multi-clove bulb from each of these, but I'm betting I do. And I know who I am going to ask for help when I dry them this year: Eric. His bulbs were much more attractive and considerably easier to work with than the pitiful specimums I received from wegrowgarlic.com!

orgoveg
Green Thumb

It will be really interesting to hear how they turn out. The first year I planted garlic, it was in the spring because I didn't know better. The green tops looked healthy but the bulbs I got were puny. When you mention "Eric", I assume that you're talking about the guy who goes by "Doubledogfarm" or something close to that. I got my music garlic from Territorial Seed and I'm growing it for the first time. I think that Doubledog gets alot of his stuff from the same company. So far, they look really good. Let's compare photos when you harvest.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

orgoveg wrote:It will be really interesting to hear how they turn out. The first year I planted garlic, it was in the spring because I didn't know better. The green tops looked healthy but the bulbs I got were puny. When you mention "Eric", I assume that you're talking about the guy who goes by "Doubledogfarm" or something close to that. I got my music garlic from Territorial Seed and I'm growing it for the first time. I think that Doubledog gets alot of his stuff from the same company. So far, they look really good. Let's compare photos when you harvest.
When did you harvest your spring planting, Oroveg? Did they mature like regular garlic (scapes, turning brown) and still have puny bulbs?

Yes, I do mean DoubleDogFarm. These music bulbs of his were beautiful: big, clean, white, healthy, as many as eight large cloves per bulb. In contrast, the Northern Giants I got from wegrowgarlic were puny, golfball size, and the Northern Whites, though large and lovely, had, at the most, four cloves per bulb. Most of them had two or three :evil: I wound up evening out my rows with some leftover third-generation Albertsons softneck cloves.

I am pretty excited about the music garlic now. If all goes well, I will have three different porcelain types to try this fall!

orgoveg
Green Thumb

I can't remember exactly what time of year I pulled them out, but it was after most of the leaves had turned yellow/brown. Yes, they matured the same way that most garlic does with scapes.

I hope to hear that the music pleases you!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”