WntGrnThumbs!
Newly Registered

!potatoes! wrote:hmmm... there's a place I remember from the north suburbs...maybe skokie? I'll do a search.

...looks like the one I may have been thinking about was a clover's garden center, which seems to be a chain. they say there's one in naperville, one in berwyn, one in mt. prospect...etc.

I gotta agree with cynthia's analysis of varieties at bigger/chain stores, though - if you're looking for something very specific or relatively uncommon, starting your own seed may be the only way. what varieties are you looking for?

edit#2...anton's in evanston is a possibility...but a bit of a drive for you.

Hello All,

I'm not exactly sure what varieties. I was hoping to get some suggestions from people near me.
I'm currently living in Bolingbrook, IL so Naperville is my best option in regards to distance. I'm hoping to learn a thing or two about vegetable and fruit home gardening. I have 2 small areas in back of my house. One is a small area that receives a good amount of sun while the other is a much larger area that's lacking good sun light.

What can you guys recommend that would grow best in my area around this time of year?

Just a few days into Spring :) and the weather has been great for about a week or 2

I can try an post some pictures this weekend.

Thanks

Chrissykr
Newly Registered

Hello All,

I'm not exactly sure what varieties. I was hoping to get some suggestions from people near me.
I'm currently living in Bolingbrook, IL so Naperville is my best option in regards to distance. I'm hoping to learn a thing or two about vegetable and fruit home gardening. I have 2 small areas in back of my house. One is a small area that receives a good amount of sun while the other is a much larger area that's lacking good sun light.

What can you guys recommend that would grow best in my area around this time of year?

Waves...I live in BBrook as well. I have grown several different kinds with great results. I have wintersowed 54 containers and have broccoli, kale, lettuce, onions and radishes going right now.

WntGrnThumbs!
Newly Registered

Chrissykr wrote:Hello All,

Waves...I live in BBrook as well. I have grown several different kinds with great results. I have wintersowed 54 containers and have broccoli, kale, lettuce, onions and radishes going right now.

Hello Chrissykr,

It's good to know that others around my way are interested in growing their food :)

I'm thinking of starting off with some lettuce, onions, tomatoes but would also like a few other things. I have to be honest I'm brand new to this whole home grown produce.

WntGrnThumbs!
Newly Registered

What can you guys suggest I plant or seed this weekend would my preferred options from above be a good idea or is it to late.

I was hoping to start as soon as possible but I would be stating fresh :/

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You are in the same zone I am. It is not too late for you to plant any of the cool weather crops. That would be root crops (beets, carrots, potatoes, turnips), brassicas (broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower), greens (lettuce, chard, spinach, kale, etc) and peas.

It is too early yet for the summer crops.

But I should say if you want to do brassicas, you should look for transplant ready starts at a nursery. They are slow growers; it is too late to start them from seed. I planted my broccoli seed (indoors, under lights) at the end of January.
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Welcome. Lots of good info on this site. Do some searches.

[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43480]Here is one good one.[/url]

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener:
But I should say if you want to do brassicas, you should look for transplant ready starts at a nursery. They are slow growers; it is too late to start them from seed.
I have had good luck starting all the brassicas directly in my garden from seed. I usually plant the first week of April. They are quite cold hardy. I do find it necessary to protect them from the bugs though. Those little click beetles will eat them before they even come up. The seeds are small hence the seed leaves are small too, and it doesn't take a bug long to eat them up.

I plant broccoli, two varieties of cabbage, kale, kohlrabi, and turnips.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”