btrowe1

Water loving vegetable plants,

Hello all,
Hoping to get a few responses, I have an area of my garden that gets covered by my sprinkler system, not a big area but 2 or 3 rows,The rows are about 20' long..
I'm planning on planting the following veggies, zucchinis,spaghetti squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, beans bush, onions, beets, cabbage, brussel sprouts, beets, peppers,

Last year, I had the cabbage, brussels and peppers in the rows. The cabbage and brussels grew like gang busters, peppers did good, large crop 23 jars of hot peppers processed and lots for slicing, but the plants didn't seem to grow real high,

Which of the above plants listed is more tolerant of being watered on a daily basis, the sprinkler runs each morning for about 15 minutes on that zone, the garden can't be moved but the veggies can. Reason I'm asking is the crop rotation is being thought about by me and I don"t want to place something there that doesn"t need or like that much water.

Thanks as always..

applestar
Mod

Why do you run the sprinkler for only 15 minute every day? That's what caught my eye more than anything else. It seems too short and too often. Wouldn't you be better off running it for longer once or twice a week? 15 minutes doesn't seem enough though you said some of your vegs grew well.

Almost all plants benefit from less frequent deep watering because it makes them seek water deeper down in the soil and grow deeper roots, which will help them become more dought tolerant.

I understand it's a little different in hotter, drier regions where daily watering is a necessity.

Well, assuming you want to continue with this schedule, tomatoes and all the cucurbits might become prone to fungal diseases, though morning makes it safer. Bush beans are drought tolerant which might imply that they woudn't do well frequently watered.
Last edited by applestar on Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”