sisquatch

can someone help? we are clueless about growing zuchinni

we've been gardening for 3 years now but we've never grown zuchinni before. we want to try it this time around but are pretty much clueless about it.
I tried looking it up online but have gotten overwhelmed with all of the information.

can someone just give me the basic guidelines of growing it?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I generally plant about 4 seeds in each spot abut 12 inches in diameter in my row and space them about 36 inches apart. When they come up, I'll thin to maybe 2 plants in each spot and let them go. They get very big with huge stems and very large leaves when compared to many other vegetable plants.

the main problem with zucchini and summer squash in general is the possibility of Squash Vine Borer infestation. Do a search for more info on them. They will destroy the plants in short order if not controlled.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Don't plant them until the soil is well warmed up; they are one of the last things to go in. Give them plenty of room. They like fertile soil with plenty of organic matter and consistent moisture, kept well watered.

But yes, I've about given up on zucchini because of the squash vine borer. They say if you mound soil around the base of the plant (covering the bottom of the stem), that discourages them from laying eggs. Otherwise they lay their eggs in the stem and the borers hatch out inside where they are protected and eat it away from the inside.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

I've about given up on zucchini because of the squash vine borer.

^That.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I plant 5 seeds in a 12 inch circle (hill), then space the hills 5 or 6 feet apart. The vines grow out like spokes on a wheel. They get 3 to 4 feet long so you can see this planting gets huge. Two hills like this will give you loads of squash if you can keep the bugs off it.

Do some research on control methods. [url=https://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/pests/plant_pests/veg_fruit/hgic2207.html]Start Here[/url]

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”