Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Garden Alive!!!

Weather has been record temperatures warm, so I'm glad that I took some time to get the garden into shape after the winter last week. Planted all of the transplants and seeds of the early, cold hardy varieties on Wednesday, and spent entire morning trimming, cleaning and such...

Finally, starting to look like garden, and just about everything is growing and sprouting rather well. So the garden is ones again is alive!

Lettuce "Majesty"

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/photos/i-PNZF76p/0/O/i-PNZF76p.jpg[/img]

Lettuce "Simpson"

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/photos/i-9gD9fkX/0/O/i-9gD9fkX.jpg[/img]

Lettuce "Red Sails"

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/photos/i-98G8hRD/0/O/i-98G8hRD.jpg[/img]

Radicchio

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/photos/i-hmsnKLk/0/O/i-hmsnKLk.jpg[/img]

Arugula "Wild Italian"

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/photos/i-gpDqCSw/0/O/i-gpDqCSw.jpg[/img]

Arugula "Rocket" sprouting

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/photos/i-5FkdBvc/0/O/i-5FkdBvc.jpg[/img]

Cress sprouting

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/photos/i-bGW5w4H/0/O/i-bGW5w4H.jpg[/img]

Green Onions for cutting

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/photos/i-wrk5nT5/0/O/i-wrk5nT5.jpg[/img]

Kohlrabi

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/photos/i-jP8pgzc/0/O/i-jP8pgzc.jpg[/img]

Radish (many varieties), chard and mixed baby greens should be sprouting in a day or two as well...

This is definitely the oddest spring we've had in 20+ years I lived in VA...

Regards,
D

FrugalK

Beautiful greens, Duh vinci - and beautiful photographs! Well done!

Yes, the weather here has been unbelievable! I wasn't sure if I should trust it (to stay warm), but how can one resist? Gotta get all the big chores done before the mosquitoes arrive :wink:
Frugal K

Stella Blue

Lookin' good Duh. I've got all my cold hardies sprouted, but still in there 3X3 pots, awaiting transplant. They are enjoying the warmth and sunshine up here in UPSTATE NY!. It has been a crazy winter. Carrots and radishes are sown. Warm weather veggies are under lights, patiently awaiting the TRUE spring. Oh yeah, and the garlic has just poked their little heads above their winter insulation.

Here's to another GREAT year of gardening!!!
Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Beautiful as usual D_V. Good to see it is coming along and you are out there in the garden my Friend.

Tomorrow I should be finished with my garden refab. Than I can get serious about planting. I have a few things in. I am wanting to get much more in, like a few weeks ago. It will come, never you fear.

I need to take some pics of my volunteers as well, I have been busy.

Hey you Chard lovers out there can you say perennial?!?! 8)

Keep at it D_V it wouldn't be the gardening season without your pics, and I can't wait to see those tom's I gave you.

Regards,

Dono

Lianne

gixxerific wrote:
Hey you Chard lovers out there can you say perennial?!?! 8)
volunteered in a community garden today, and they spotted a big 'ol chard root they threw in the compost pile last year, that just sprouted more chard, even in the middle of all that compost! it had to weigh ten pounds (my guess) and had growth in at least 4 different places.

Garden_by_Faith

Very exciting! Beautiful photo's....your veggies look good too :wink:
For I walk by faith not by sight

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Looking good!
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Looking good! :)

I don't know why this posted twice. I guess its looking twice as good?

Its snowing here.
Last edited by jal_ut on Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Duh Vinci, you made it all come alive for us! Who would have thought lettuce babies could look so vibrant!

I made my first Garden 2012 journal entry yesterday: "Watered garlic." We are having an incredibly early spring, and if this keeps up, I'm going to try to put peppers out under walls of water April 1. This could be the spring I've been waiting for for three or four years!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Thank you all for the comments, appreciate it!

And reading them, sounds like many parts of the US been greeted with the early spring?

Turnips, baby greens mix has sprouted this morning, radishes started to break the ground, this is such exciting time of the year to watch everything come to life, love the spring!

Overcast today, and going to be in the 70s, taking my first tray of early container tomato seedlings out on the deck for the first time, weather couldn't be any better for easy acclimation to the "outside world". Looks like this is a very first time earlies would not be "up-potted" but will go directly into 10 and 18gal containers. First for me... Interesting spring indeed!

Happy gardening to all!

Regards,
D

mscratch

looking at that very pretty beet picture and remembering how 1 lone beet survived the winter here even after I had dug up the garden area for spring planting..I figured it survived for a reason and that being seed.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Be carefull D_V it's not even spring yet. A few more day's, it's actually my birthday. Spring babies rule!!!!!!!!!!! :P But in normal fashion it has gone from winter to Summer before spring even got here. Than againg in normal fashion I would assume that summer (spring) get's ripped away without much notice and straight back to hardcore winter for a day or two than it's summer (spring) again.

Just saying it has been mid to upper 80's here for a week or more straight. Don't let that fool any of you.

Be prepared.

soil
Greener Thumb

excellent photography Duh_Vinci, what camera are you using. i like the green onion photo.
For all things come from earth, and all things end by becoming earth.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Dono - so true!

Definitely not the "right time" by the calendar... So I purposely seeded/planted only the cold hardies. And I should be OK even it it freezes or snows a little - I'm utilizing two garden beds, one 3x24 and one 2x20, both are setup to have a hoops install in minutes, and frost blankets are ready. Used them in the same manner last year, everything survived. Hoping for the same this year!

Soil, thanks, glad you like these.

If I want vivid colors, or closeup, I use Pentax K20D with dedicated DFA 100 f2.8 macro lens. Most other stuff, when the AF speed and accuracy counts the most, I use my old Nikon D200 (mostly prime lenses), and for lazy in me, when I don't feel like digging up DSLR, good ole Olympus E-P1 with the kit 17mm F2.8 lens with the wrist strap is always there. I really like that little Oly, so small, and very capable for everyday things.

Regards,
D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Duh_Vinci wrote:If I want vivid colors, or closeup, I use Pentax K20D with dedicated DFA 100 f2.8 macro lens. Most other stuff, when the AF speed and accuracy counts the most, I use my old Nikon D200 (mostly prime lenses), and for lazy in me, when I don't feel like digging up DSLR, good ole Olympus E-P1 with the kit 17mm F2.8 lens with the wrist strap is always there. I really like that little Oly, so small, and very capable for everyday things.

Regards,
D
Yeah yeah yeah, blah blah blah. You know you suck DV with all your fancy camera talk. Pentax this, Nikon that.... Cause you make my pics look like !@#$.

J/K bro, you know I love you. 8) :flower:

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

LOL What can I say, can a man have more than one hobby? BTW, don't make me whip out my good ole P&S with whooooping 5mp! Still works after all this years. Actually used alot last year...

Regards,
D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”