Black River

Hardening off cabbage and similar plants

I have a few cabbage, broccoli, kohlrabi, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts seedlings that aren't very big, about 3-4 inches tall, and they seem to be growing really slow in the styrofoam cups I have them in. I thought I'd go ahead and set them out now because at the rate they are growing it will be too late for them soon. I guess I should have started them sooner than January, huh? Anyway, do I need to harden off these type plants like you would tomatoes? I had my wife set them in the sun for about 10 minutes today while I was at work. I've had them under flourescent lights with my tomatoes and peppers, lights on 16-18 hours a day.....

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

I think you do it over 1 to 2 week period just like any other plant.
Shaded area,part shade then full sun. If you look in the seed starting part of the forum.
Or search my name I asked them a lot of stuff on what to do.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, harden them off similar to tomatoes. You can set them out lots earlier though as they have some frost resistance. I think that is a good size for the transplants.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think, yes you can definitely start hardening them off. If your weather cooperates, that doesn't have to be a real slow process, because they are very hardy. They are not a bad size for transplanting.

But I think they didn't like your styrofoam cups (they do have drainage holes, right?) or something about your set up. I started my broccoli indoors Jan 28. They are now about 6" tall and wide, leafy and bushy, starting on their fourth pair of leaves.

Black River

Yes my cups have drainage holes....you may be right, maybe it was the type of soil I was using in the cups. They look healthy, just not growing very fast. The tomatoes and peppers love it though, I can literally see a difference in size daily! :D My wife set them in shade on the porch today, I will be back home from work this weekend, and hope to set them out next week. Thanks for the replies!

applestar
Mod

Be sure to protect them from getting eaten.
I have rabbits in the neighborhood so I always harden off seedlings inside the fenced garden. I have different areas shaded by trees that provide good dappled light transition to full sun.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”