parke.hk

Pumpkins and Watermelons vs Cottontails

I was hoping to plant pumpkins and watermelons this year in my garden, but I am worried about the amount of space they will take up. I was hoping to plant them in the garden and then train the vines to go outside of the wire fence I have up around my garden. The only problem I can think of with my plan is all the darn rabbits around my house. Are chances good that the rabbits will be feasting on pumpkins and watermelons or might they leave those alone?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I doubt if the taste preferences of your cottontails are any different from what the mountain cottontails like to eat around here.

So . . . in my garden last year, they feasted on the entire side of a pumpkin and then ate the seeds. Oh, those wascawy wabbits! Yeah, those rabbits will sure enjoy your pumpkins. Maybe, just maybe, they will leave your watermelons awone.

Speaking only from my personal experience.

Steve

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

This method is completely impractical for anything except large, valuable fruit, but [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=198240#198240]here's what I did to protect my pumpkins[/url] last year.

It worked very, very well, but it can be somewhat labor intensive. I had the whole family in the living room, assembly-line style, "manufacturing" a set of these :D

parke.hk

Waterbug- while I don't think I will make those contraptions, that does give me a good idea. I could just make a second garden area where I don't turn the soil, just keep it grass but fence it off as well. The pumpkins and watermelons can mature in that spot.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

I don't have rabits but in rutting season the deer were eating my pumpkin flowers and even my 3 to 5 pound pumpkins. I made a string fence lol we will see if it works.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”