rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Re: TPS True Potato Seeds

jal_ut wrote:Image

Here is what you might expect if you plant onion seeds directly in your garden.

Corn is always planted directly in the garden where it will grow. Plant on the day of your last average frost in Spring, or up to a month after that date.

Thanks, james! Once again you helped me understand and quit blaming myself! I always wondered why I didn't get nice big onions. It's because I grow them from seed. Actually I get bigger onions than those, but that's because right now I am harvesting the last of last year's onions from seed and then planting more seed. So they stay in the ground from 9 to 12 months. And still they don't get nice big bulbs like the ones you grow.

Onion sets are just so expensive and tend to come in bunches of more than I can use. Onion seed is super cheap!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

The topic is potatoes
Here is what you might expect if you plant onion seeds directly in your garden.
Directly in your garden is to be noted. If you start your seeds in the house Rainbow, you will get full size onions. Check out my Copra onion posts.

Eric

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Onion sets are just so expensive and tend to come in bunches of more than I can use. Onion seed is super cheap!
Yep.

You can start the onions from seed in the house and have them up as big as matchsticks by early spring when you can get on your soil. Then plant them out.

Onions are day length sensitive and bulb when the days are of the right length. In the North plant long day onions, and in the South plant short day onions. This is important! Get the right variety.

You want to get them to good size with lots of leaf when the days are long enough to bulb so they have the vigor to make that big bulb you crave. If they are just small when the days are long enough, they bulb, but the bulbs will be small.

When I grow onions from seed and let them go to bulbs, they end up about the size of golf balls, or less.

Sorry, how did we go from potatoes to onions? Gettin back on topic.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”