SOB
Green Thumb

Marlingardener wrote:I don't think a tiller attachment on a lawn tractor is going to break up the clods you get after a breaker plow does its work.
Maybe we can rent a tiller for my dad's JD tractor...that would definitely be worth the money!
jal_ut wrote:If only we could see what is going on underground. It is a known fact that most garden veggies put out roots sidewise for two feet and up to 5 feet or more. Every bit of a plot with rows 30 inches wide will have roots under it. It doesn't matter where you toll toss the amendments on a plot, like this the plants have access to it.

Spend some time browsing around [url=https://www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrary/010137veg.roots/010137toc.html]This Site[/url] and you may get the feeling that raised beds actually are a restriction to the development of crop roots.
That's a good point. A while back I came across that link you posted and spent some serious time looking through it...mind boggling stuff!

Maybe you guys are right...I might be over thinking this. I am an engineer after all :lol:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”