jnunez918

Will tomatoes grow in a 10" raised bed??

Will tomatoes grow in a 10" raised bed??

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Yes. Depending upon the amount of soil in the bed, and whether or not it is in contact with the ground, watering requirements may be greater than for when planted in the ground.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Tomatoes will grow in a 0 inch non rasied bed. What are your worries?

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Yep, agree indeed with all of the above - will grow. If not in contact with the soil under, then, as Alex suggests, more watering is needed. But, if you loosen up the soil under the bed, would benefit quite a lot!

Regards,
D

ruggr10
Green Thumb

Mine grow fine!

jnunez918

I have no access to under the bed. The ground is all rock and clay, hence the raised bed. I don't have enough pots to go around so I'm wanting to put tomatoes in bed.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Since growing in a raised bed will increase watering requirements, I would suggest that you consider fairly aggressive pruning. Lots of growers do this anyway, as tomato plants grow much more foliage than is necessary for vigorous fruit production. By thinning out the excess branches, water demands will be decreased, disease may be decreased because of improved air flow, and tomato production may be increased as well. If you prune to a singe central leader, then one plant can be placed per square foot of bed area. This planting density combined with central leader pruning supposedly gives the highest yield from a space.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”