hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Ten Day Forecast

Lows in the lower 50's, highs in the upper 70's/lower 80's. Last time we had really settled warm weather like this, it was setting us up for a devastating spring kill. Cold weather came in, dropping down into the lower to mid 20's and killed everything back, even the oak trees and other deciduous trees which usually are very patient to sprout spring growth. That year, most of the trees didn't green back up and resume growth until very late, maybe even early June. Things are so far along now, with blueberry plants blooming and trees showing tip growth, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for the next month or longer, getting us to the last frost date.

Still, we are really enjoying the mild, sunny weather!

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

We have blueberries blooming, wisteria is slightly showing it's lavender and purple, and the weeds in my garden are going crazy, saying "Where are those veggies we are supposed to choke out?"

I could not resist. I was working on south side of house yesterday. Had to repair a privacy fence of sorts, took out a large hydrangha. As I worked I noticed how direct and full the sun was in that spot. It was 75 degrees, I looked at the area where the hydrangha came out, dug a couple of holes and put in some tomatoes. Wife does not know yet that I have a few tomatoes in her flower bed.

I know I will probably have to cover them up a time or two, but what the heck, It's Springtime
Last edited by lakngulf on Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Lucky! I hope you manage to make it through to your frost date without any issues. We've got full sun here, but it's staying in the 30's, 40's, with a 60 degree day here and there every once in a while.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

My daughter lived in New Haven, CT for a few years. Here in SC we always have a fairly prolonged spring, usually with lots of sunshine and temperatures visiting the sixties very often in January to early March. My daughter always got depressed in New Haven, having its prolonged, dreary 30-40 degree days which are so often overcast and drizzly.

The worst thing here is that some years it jumps straight from winter into summer, with mid 80's by March/April and 90's by late May and June. Thankfully for the past few years, after a heat wave in May or June, temperatures have drifted back down into the 80's for a big part of the early to mid summer.
Last edited by hendi_alex on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Sounds to me like perfect weather for the cool weather crops. I think I would hesitate to plant too much of any warm weather crops though until around the date of last avg frost. Even then its always a gamble. One can not really predict the weather with any degree of accuracy. In this country many gardeners will plant tomatoes a bit early and put wall-o-waters around them and they do fine even if we get some light frosts. It never hurts to try just a few warm weather things early, and some years they make it and give a crop a few weeks earlier. Be prepared to fail though and don't take it too hard when they get frozen.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Be prepared to fail though and don't take it too hard when they get frozen.
Thanks. I have been there done that. This year I have a tomato research project going on, so I have been planting flats of tomatoes every two or three weeks since mid January. Last two years I was hit heavy with what I think is Southern Bacterial Wilt. I have researched and found four varieties that are supposed to be a bit resistant to SBW. They are Neptune, Florida 7514, BHN669 and Kewalgo. I know, I know, varieties we have never heard of. Well, I also have Better Boy, Brandywine, Beefsteak, Celibrity and Sweet 100s coming along.

In the flower bed I planted one of each: Neptune, Celebrity, Brandywine, and Beefsteak......in reverse alphabetically order so I could remember, and now that I have written it down, maybe I will.

In the garden, in soil where Celebritys and BetterBoys died last year I am planting some of the four varieties above. Also, I am planting a row of corn alongside so all is not lost. For the regular varieties I am purchasing and collecting containers (and putting them in flower beds).

I am prepared for many to fail, but hopefully I learn something along the way.

lily51
Greener Thumb

Tradition says to plant peas on St Patricks Day.
That's next sat! Maybe we actually can this year!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Lakngulf, let us know how the test works out. Disease has been hitting my plants hard for the past several years. I've tried different varieties and different planting and watering strategies. Also have tried pruning, to open the plant up for increased air flow. Nothing has seemed to help very much. I have noticed that plants under shade cloth area seemed to hold up better. Also, standby plants in potting soil have generally avoided the problem. I keep thinking of growing a cluster of plants under clear plastic sheeting, to keep the rain off of the plants, but have yet to try that. Generally my problem comes on very quickly, making the plants go from lush green, to yellow and dying in just a week or so. The plants get hit in late June or early July, when the weather is hot and humid. Most often the disease surfaces after a prolonged cloudy and rainy spell, followed by a string of hot, humid days.

This year I may try a weekly spraying of milk solution and/or peroxide. Might even try some other natural preventive spray.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I am taking advantage of the weather and planting cold crops. Finally my garden is filling up. I will be starting tom's next week inside. My peppers I planted last week are just starting to sprout at least one of them. It may have been 2 weeks for the peppers. I hope they get going I will need the neat mat they are on for my mators.

I didn't have a huge issue with disease last year, the year before it was ugly. Last year I did spray with milk, NEEM avery few weeks. It may have helped. Good luck Alex. I am planning on doing the milk as much as I can remember to.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

hendi_alex wrote:Generally my problem comes on very quickly, making the plants go from lush green, to yellow and dying in just a week or so. The plants get hit in late June or early July, when the weather is hot and humid. Most often the disease surfaces after a prolonged cloudy and rainy spell, followed by a string of hot, humid days.
You have described my problem exactly.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”