southerncomfort

Any recipies for turnip roots ?

I am about to plow up my turnips but have several with big roots. I'm more of a fan of the greens but hate to waste the roots. Does anyone have any good recipes for turnip roots ?

tia!

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

simple google search...

[url]https://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-11,turnip_root,FE.html[/url]

applestar
Mod

I don't have an exact recipe, but I like making quick refrigerator pickles with turnip. You just peel and slice the roots crosswise as thinly as you can, then layer them with sprinkles of salt and sugar and cover with vinegar. I eat them starting next day and within three days or so. I use both greens and roots.

You can boil the sweet vinegar solution first for longevity but I can't tell you the proportions. :roll:

Turnips are also good in stews with pork or chicken legs but I prefer rutabagas to smaller turnips, so maybe the bigger roots would taste good as well.

Yellowsnow
Cool Member

We make cabbage, ham, and potatoes and throw in some turnips. Boil it all together in a pot with a little salt and pepper.

Raw on a salad also works.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

My favorite way to eat a turnip is pull it up, reach for my pocket knife and peel it and slice it thin and eat it raw right in the garden. I remember my grandfather sending me to the garden to grab some turnips, then he would sit there on the porch and peel them and slice them and we would eat them raw fresh from the garden.

If I am going to cook them, I just peel, cube and steam until tender. Serve with butter.

You can also shred them and put coleslaw dressing on them. This also works good for kohlrabi.

southerncomfort

Ya'll have got me hungry now !

I am going to try the pickles and the cabbage/ham/potato/turnip soup. I do like them raw too. I have a lot so I can try several recipes.

My mother raised us on potato soup. I'm going to try something similar with turnip roots. Cut em up with celery, onions and shredded carrots. Boil/simmer with a ham hock till all tender. Remove ham hock and blend with a hand mixer. Possibly add some milk and corn starch or flower to thicken. In a frying pan cook some ham steaks then dice. Add ham to soup. Salt and pepper to taste I have no idea if this will work ..... but I'm gonna try !

Thanks!

hit or miss
Green Thumb

Peel, slice and eat for me! I can't stand them cooked! :shock:

gardenvt
Green Thumb

Turnips are delicious raw and are quite nice roasted. Instead of straight up mashed potatoes, do half potatoes and half turnip - yum!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, my favorite way for turnips is mashed like potatoes, with butter.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”