ruggr10
Green Thumb

Land Seaweed???!!!

I just got the seeds from Nichols..

Anyone grown it before?
Anyone eaten it before?
Anyone even seen it before?

It was so weird I had to try it... we'll see what happens!

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Couple post down someone was talking about seaweed.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The thing that makes seaweed from the ocean so good for plants is that it grows in such a rich soup of minerals and other nutrients. They leach out of the earths soils, as the water makes its way to the ocean. I don't know if "seaweed" grown in some kind of container/pond could ever achieve that balance of nutrients.

One thing to consider, however, are the more recent studies of seawater that show all the medicines that turn up there these days. Those things are no doubt getting into the seaweed, too. Growing it in containers might be preferable, but the medicines are present in drinking water, as well. Probably no way to escape that contamination.

applestar
Mod

Are you talking about okahijiki? I think I saw the seeds at Pinetree.... Have not tried growing it though I thought about it.

I've eaten them before though -- they sometimes serve them as a side/garnish with sashimi at restaurants.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

Nichols has land seaweed, they call it agretti. Unless they are the same thing applestar.

This is not a real seaweed. It grows in soil or sand.

https://www.nicholsgardennursery.com/st ... id205.html

Applestar: How was the taste?

applestar
Mod

I guess I saw it here, though I still think Pinetree had it too.
Oka Hijiki

Oka Hijiki
... Seed #191
Also known as "seaweed on land," this variety is considered to be one of the healthiest greens eaten in Japan. Loaded with vitamins, it is usually sold in Japanese markets in very small packets. The green stick leaves are 2" long. Oka hijiki is used in many Japanese dishes and is excellent simply steamed for a few minutes and eaten with mustard or vinegar.
https://www.kitazawaseed.com/seed_191-72.html

I like it. I think the way I remember, it was dressed with rice vinegar and Japanese toasted sesame oil with toasted sesame seeds (trying to remember if they were black or white).... I think this could also be interesting with the salty plum vinegar.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Rugger you have any seeds to trade?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”