Royiah

Ants in the garden bed!?

Ok so I was clearing the soon to be garden bed of grass I was pulling by hand and ran into an ant pile underneath the grass. For obious reasons I stoped and now I cant finish. I have a big ant problem here we've got tons of piles in our back yard alone! My question is can I use ant poision on my garden bed? I hate to do it becuase of the cimicals but if I leave them I cant make my bed and they'll over run my new bed. What should I do about them? :?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's a couple threads we had about ant control

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9437

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=151938#151938

If you type ant control into Search the Forum Keyword box, you can find more.

But no, if it were me I would not use poisons, especially in a place where you want to grow food.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Ants and spiders are my friends in the garden but I don't like them inside the house.

You can feed them to death with white sugar. I had a problem with ants in the house so I put several 5 lb bags of white sugar under the house. The ants went straight for the sugar and the worked on it all summer then they were gone. I read on line all sugar diet is not good for ants so that is why they vanished, they over dosed and died.
Last edited by Gary350 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Royiah

Thats what I thought but my dad says as long as its ment for the garden it sould be ok. I think I'll try the cinamin first since it seems to have worked for others.

Duets

A few ants aren't a problem in the garden.... but many??? Try some dry "instant grits"....it makes them blow up! Plus it won't hurt the garden area.

If it is red ants, use "instant coffee", 1 Tbsp... just pour it down the hill of the ants home.
Last edited by Duets on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

We used to have a big fire ant nest in my backyard. I think they actually came from the yard next to us. I used to try drowning them with the hose. It seemed to work but then a new nest would pop up several feet away from the last. I kept watering them and they kept moving several feet over. Eventually they disappeared so I think the water worked.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”