brandon558
Cool Member

Favorite cucumber variety?

Just was going to see what everyones favorite cucumber variety was. Last year I planted burpless and they were very good and large fruit. Wanted to try some different varietys this year.

Anyone ever had good experience with burpee salad bush hybrid? looks like they would do well in pots.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I saw some at Home Depot and almost grabbed them. I don't got a lot of space so I am only growing mini cukes and a few pickling types vertically.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Marketmore 76 does well here and produces loads of nice fruit. It is a slicer.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

I LOVE lemon cucumbers... They are quite ugly, small, and they sprawl out all over the place but there's a tangyness to the flavor and the slices have a unique shape. They do not last long in my house!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I had a nice crop last summer with Straight 8's and General Lee varieties. Both are good producers in my area. The Straight 8's are smoother skinned than the General Lee's, but both have nice flavor.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

ruggr10 wrote:I LOVE lemon cucumbers... They are quite ugly, small, and they sprawl out all over the place but there's a tangyness to the flavor and the slices have a unique shape. They do not last long in my house!
I was about to second this ;D Tried one, fell in love, will be planting a few plants this year :D

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

We don't really keep up with varieties, but have put together three groupings of mixed varieties. Each year I grow a few of each, taking pot luck as to what is actually grown. One group is 'pickling', another group is 'sweet slice' which are non bitter and often burpless, and last are the 'Asian' cucumbers. I enjoy having a few vines of all three types. The picklers are very productive and have intense cucumber flavor. The sweet slice are never bitter and are always cool and refreshing. The Asian types have somewhat different texture, but to me are usually are similar to the sweet slice in terms of being very mild and burpless.

Each year I buy a pack or two of what ever variety strikes my fancy, and then dump the seeds into the appropriate mixed package. Each year we get a random assortment of surprise cucumber varieties.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I have lemon cuke seeds. If I have space I will do them this year. But I am doing mini white cukes and boston pickling cukes. I saw some starter plants of lemon cukes at home depot. So tempting to get them. But then I thought how I have my own seeds and how easy and fast cukes grow. Would be a waste of money to buy it.

Intriguedbybonsai

I love english cucumbers. They are super crunchy, slightly sweet, and don't have that jelly-like seed center like most cukes have. Stores will sometimes label them as hothouse, and they are usually wrapped in plastic.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Alex, I'm going to steal your idea. What fun !

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

best all around for me is Marketmore 76 a good just eating is Diva

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”