dtlove129

zone 5 planting schedule

I have an idea, but want to see how others in zone 5 do things.

When would you plant the following:
Red and Yukon Potatoes- 4/1
Broccoli plants (starting seeds indoor) 4/1
Cauliflower (same as broccoli) 4/1
Pepper plants both hot and sweet starting indoors 5/14
Tomatoes same as peppers 5/14
Bush Green Beans 5/14
Sweet Corn 5/14
Onion bulbs (I hope now since I have already put my in the ground) 3/4
Lettuce 4/1
Carrots 4/1
Celery (no clue)
Cukes 5/14
Squashes 5/14

I put my dates out to the side as to when I plan to plant, but will change based on responses here. Last year I went with the first weekend in April for cooler veggies and the first week of May for my veggies that need more heat and had pretty good success for my first garden.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Check this out:

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/veggie%20guide.JPG[/img]

FWIW here is my time schedule +/- the weather.

Group A April 1
Group B April 15
Group C May 5 + potato sets
Group D May 15

Cucumbers get their own group along with planting out tomatoes and peppers: June 1

You may be a little ahead of me due to my altitude. Check with your
extension service to see if they have a planting guide for your area.

Plant tomatoes and peppers indoors 6 to 8 weeks before planting out time.

dtlove129

Jal, that is awesome! Much appreciated! The broccoli you have in group a is that plant or direct sow seeds? I assume whatever you say about broccoli applies to cauliflower?!

Thanks again!

dtlove129

I'm thinking I could go a little earlier than you on each because you mention in your sig that you are 5000 ft above sea level. I'm actually at like 700 ft, but besides that we are pretty much on the same plain across the states.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

This chart is for seed planted where it will grow. Yes, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kohlrabi and kale all can be planted quite early. I plant seed where it will be grown. Sometimes I will transplant some if its too crowded. You need to protect it from bugs though. Those darned click beetles will eat it before it even gets up. Lots of folks plant these cole crops indoors then set them out in April.

sixshooter

Good info guys thanks! I didnt realize cucumbers went in later like tomatos. I was hoping to direct sow them. Does that mean I shouldnt even plant the seeds until after last frost date?

dtlove129

sixshoooter, I may have gotten lucky last year and that is why I was asking other opinions on here.

Last year I started my lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, and onions around the first of April. Then all my "hot" crops went in as direct sow the first weekend in May. Well I say direct sow, but my tomatoes and peppers were plants. Again I had good success last year in my garden, but I had great weather after getting it out. I had rain and sun, but later in the year I just had sun as we had pretty much a drought in Central IL.

The biggest issue I had last year with my whole garden was raccoons eating my corn and some kind of little gray bug with a fat belly eating up my pumpkins and squash.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I always direct sow cucumbers. Just wait until the weather and soil are warm. Of all the plants I plant, the cukes hate cold the most. They will not germinate if the ground is cold. They are also not at all tolerant of a light frost. It will kill them. So I plant cukes June 1 after danger of frost is past. They grow fast and you soon have cucumbers to eat.

Flatlander_MB

dtlove129 wrote:I have an idea, but want to see how others in zone 5 do things.

When would you plant the following:
Red and Yukon Potatoes- 4/1
Broccoli plants (starting seeds indoor) 4/1
Cauliflower (same as broccoli) 4/1
Pepper plants both hot and sweet starting indoors 5/14
Tomatoes same as peppers 5/14
Bush Green Beans 5/14
Sweet Corn 5/14
Onion bulbs (I hope now since I have already put my in the ground) 3/4
Lettuce 4/1
Carrots 4/1
Celery (no clue)
Cukes 5/14
Squashes 5/14

I put my dates out to the side as to when I plan to plant, but will change based on responses here. Last year I went with the first weekend in April for cooler veggies and the first week of May for my veggies that need more heat and had pretty good success for my first garden.
Seems right on track with my schedule over in the Champaign area of Central IL. Of course, days like today make me want to get out there earlier!! 60 degrees and sunshine are proving to be very tempting...

Flatlander_MB

dtlove129 wrote:
The biggest issue I had last year with my whole garden was raccoons eating my corn and some kind of little gray bug with a fat belly eating up my pumpkins and squash.
[img]https://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j441/sararall/Insects/bugs%20cicadas%20hoppers%20aphids/Bugs/stink%20shield%20and%20other%20pentatomoid%20bugs/bmsb2-1.jpg[/img]
Were they marmorated stink bugs? I had those on one of my squash plants last year, but they seemed to stay put on the 1-2 zuc's I sacrificed to them.

dtlove129

That's them flatlander. Yeah they didn't really eat up my squash, but they destroyed my pumpkin vines in just a few days.

Yeah we are on the same planting schedule then, and I actually put my onions in this past weekend because this older, country man told me to do it. I hope he is correct.

I'm with ya. Itching to get out in the garden. I can't say I have ever tilled it and then had snow that night, but it happened Sunday night.

You know anything about celery? First time here.

Flatlander_MB

dtlove129 wrote:That's them flatlander. Yeah they didn't really eat up my squash, but they destroyed my pumpkin vines in just a few days.

Yeah we are on the same planting schedule then, and I actually put my onions in this past weekend because this older, country man told me to do it. I hope he is correct.

I'm with ya. Itching to get out in the garden. I can't say I have ever tilled it and then had snow that night, but it happened Sunday night.

You know anything about celery? First time here.
Don't have the foggiest on celery, but would be interested in hearing how it goes for you.

I don't bother growing corn myself either. I have a good friend who has a family farm that is renowned for their sweet corn up in the Kankakee area. My neighbor's dad also farms in Mt. Pulaski. I get all my sweet corn from them & save my limited garden space for other goodies! :P

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, the onions will do fine planted early.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

About celery. Celery is a rather long season plant. It is usually started indoors and trans planted out about the time of the last avg frost. It takes 90 - 100 days to mature. Apparently it doesn't have real good frost tolerance.

I think I will try planting some directly in the garden. Since it is the stalks we like to eat, it could be used at any stage of its development. Even if the stalks were small they would be tasty.

Celery seed is a sought after commodity. I wonder is this plant is biennial? Anyone know? I have only grown it once and no blooms the first season.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”