ButterflyGarden

"recycled onions"?

Has anyone tried this?

https://tipnut.com/nifty-food-plants/

"The trick is to take the cut end (root side) and plant it in a pot, water well, give it some time and voila! You have fresh (and free!) onions at your disposal. This will work for a variety of different onions and the beauty of this tip is that as you use the onions, you replant the cut root ends to grow more. You can use a tub just for onions and haul it indoors during winter months (will need lots of sun) or if it's just green onions you're interested in growing, a large flower pot will do."

applestar
Mod

LOL -- if you look for "onion bottoms" with applestar as the author, I think you'll see the number of posts in which I mentioned planting generously cut wedge/pyramid of onion bottoms.

I generally do this during winter in my kitchen windowsill garden and harvest the greens for garnish and omelet all winter long. They do grow into small onion set if planted out in spring and allowed to grow. Sometimes they have enough energy to flower, but so far, I haven't seen them mature into a full sized onion bulb.

This is most likely because onions are biennial and will do its best to grow a flower stalk and complete its life cycle in its second year/season of growth.
Also, store bought onions may or may not be the right variety to bulb in your region, but mostly, I think it's the biennial biological clock.

You can collect the seeds after they flower but the onion may or may not have been a hybrid variety.

You can do the same with garlic, shallots, and leeks. For some reason, scallions are less inclined to grow well unless you plant a substantial portion of the bottom.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”