manny

What to expect growing onions peas potatoes brocoli and more

Today I got a jiffy 50 cell grow kit from the store and planted some Girasoles (mexican sun flowers) and Zinnia seeds. I also did some reading on this forum (thank you all for contributing) I am very excited about vegetable gardening this year and I am ready to grow some of my favorites. I plan on growing:
  • onions, peas, potatoes, broccoli, carrots, lettuce, cucumber, squash, peppers, tomatoes
but space is very limited and I would like to know what would be the best inter-planting pairings to use. I also would like to know the best and most economical way to grow up because I think that growing up will save lots of space as well as what variety of plant of those listed above would be best suited for verticle growth. I know last year we had cucumber climb a dinky trellis I made out of bamboo sticks and it gave us some very yummy cukes. Finally I have one last question that I should probably just read the forum rules about but what are the restrictions on posts? can I have extra large text wierd colors ect?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

manny wrote:Today I got a jiffy 50 cell grow kit from the store and planted some Girasoles (mexican sun flowers) and Zinnia seeds. I also did some reading on this forum (thank you all for contributing) I am very excited about vegetable gardening this year and I am ready to grow some of my favorites. I plan on growing:
  • onions, peas, potatoes, broccoli, carrots, lettuce, cucumber, squash, peppers, tomatoes
but space is very limited and I would like to know what would be the best inter-planting pairings to use. I also would like to know the best and most economical way to grow up because I think that growing up will save lots of space as well as what variety of plant of those listed above would be best suited for verticle growth. I know last year we had cucumber climb a dinky trellis I made out of bamboo sticks and it gave us some very yummy cukes. Finally I have one last question that I should probably just read the forum rules about but what are the restrictions on posts? can I have extra large text wierd colors ect?

From your list the squash (if it is zucchini/ summer squash), peas, and cucumbers can all be trellised.

If you have rows of trellised things, the lettuce can be planted between the rows. Once it gets hot, the lettuce will benefit from the shade from the trellised plants. Broccoli is cold hardy and frost tolerant. I put my transplants out in the garden about a month BEFORE my average last frost date, at the front edge of a garden bed. Once frost date is passed, I plant the tomatoes behind them. By the time the tomato plants are getting big and need the room, the broccoli is about done and can be pulled. Peas and squash can be done in succession like that also. The peas go in very early. Squash doesn't get planted until the ground is well warmed up, so it can wait until the peas are done and then be planted in their spot. (Don't pull the pea plants; cut them off at ground level. They have stored nitrogen in their roots, which will be given back as the roots decompose).

If you weren't planning on a lot of potatoes, you can do some in a large container. Plant them near the bottom of the container and then keep filling in the container as they grow.

Congratulations on getting started! Do some browsing in the seed starting section about how to get your seeds going well.

I'm going to leave it to mods to deal with your question about large type and colors. I read the guidelines again and there's nothing specifically forbidding it, but I know it annoys some people.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”