Richard L.

I planted today-South Central Texas

Hi,
76 degrees here right now (24.4C) and nice all day....
I planted a bunch of things today...Nice weather for weeks now,
I have two vegetable garden areas to plant...

The back garden by the back fence... I planted
8 Yellow squash,
8 zucchini,
6 Pink banana squash,
6 butternut squash,
8 Giant test stripped squash,
4 Cucumbers,
12 Potatoes

Front garden
7 Tomato plants
12 bush beans,
watermelon two types,

Photo below...

https://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j421/texasshots5/Garden%20shots/planting-2012-2.jpg

jnunez918

Totally jealous of your space! I have to do everything in raised beds.today I did my pre-planting organizing in the backyard and putting together the small greenhouse to harden off my seedlings. I agree it was a beautiful Texas day! :lol:

Richard L.

Hey Jennifer, good luck on your garden and raised beds... take some photos some day... sure hope we get rain this year, last year it was months with no rain down here. Have Fun! :)

jnunez918

I want to sow directly but afraid the weather will flip flop so my entire kitchen table is full of seed starting stuff

Allegre Nee

Ooh you do have a great space!
I put seeds in last week for tarragon, green onions, yellow squash, cucumber, zuchini, and black opal basil.
I picked up some tomato plants and a bell pepper at Lowe's and those are in as well. Last year I got too late of a start (dogs got in and tore up my beds :x ) and none of the tomatoes I started from seeds did well at all because it got too hot. I got like, 3 tiny cherry tomatoes.
I'm hoping for a better year this year.

Richard L.

Thanks Allegre Nee, that cold front hit us down here and it never got above 44 degrees today, the rain we needed, Good Luck on your garden. I always do great with tomato's, I buy mine at LOWE'S and always plant the same each year. I buy "celebrity" every year in medium sized pots and get a lot of good tomato's. Have Fun!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

You go Richard. I am way behind. But even at that you are way ahead of me weather wise.

I am behind on my cool crops but my garden is in transformation so soon, very soon.

Richard L.

Thanks gix, it turned cold here (44) but not freezing & my tomato plants are fine. We are expecting more rain & that's good for this area because we're always behind in rain fall. Have fun in your garden and hope you get a early Spring.

Allegre Nee

Great weather today!!!

I added to the sq foot garden -

Basil (from seeds from last years's crop)
Oregano
Tarragon
Parsley
Bell peppers
Jalapeno
Cayenne
Caribbean red peppers (??)
Beans of some type, not sure
Squash of some type, not sure but I think it was spaghetti squash

I have about 10 spots left to plant in my beds. I also planted some delphinium seeds in an empty pot by my art studio but that was kind of a "what the heck, let's see what happens" act. And I noticed that my "husky cherry red" tomato plant has a baby the size of a small pea! I'm pretty excited.

Trimmed some ruby chard off to sautee for dinner tonight, along with some dill to use with my salmon.

Richard L.

Keep us posted on how your garden goes Allegre Nee, nice that you planted some seeds. Once my garden starts I'll do the same.

Brant

That's a lot of squash! I am jealous, squash is one of my favorite vegetables and mine looks terrible.

It has been in the 80s for a couple weeks here now. I planted my peas and lettuce in January and the rest of my stuff around the middle of February. Everything looks great except aphids have devoured almost all my green bean plants and most of my squash turned yellow and is dying.

Oh well; just had a massive salad for lunch of lettuce, snow peas, and mustard greens! My third harvest!

Richard L.

Hello Brant, I guess everyone has to watch for aphids, when I see them on my vegetable or tomato's I do something about it right away. I use regular water in a gallon jug & ad a few drops of liquid dish soap Nd spray them with that.

The squash I grow for us and our neighbors next door, she takes the butternut squash and makes "Empanadas" ... I'm sure you had them being from Arizona... Good Luck on your garden.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Wow, that must be southern Texas? Or is all of Texas that warm?
I am starting tomato seeds, inside, and was in the garden to plant potatoes and onions today. I had forgotten that I had Sunchokes in the bed, and I dug them up, not a bad harvest. Since, I didn't garden in 2011, they must be from 2010.
They are tasty little things. After reading about the gas issues, I am glad that I only sampled two small ones. They reminded me of parsnips, or maybe even very, very mild turnips. They were sweet and tasty.
I wonder if a person can get used to eating them, and not continue having gas issues, if you start out really slow? So far, no gas at all, so now I am awaiting the repercussions of eating them.

Richard L.

Hi Ozark Lady, yes we're in South Central Texas and our winters are short down here with very few days of freezing so I plant early. Usually the first or second week in March. Good luck on your garden... take some pictures later on...

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”