teh

Green Eggplant

Hi,

I planted an eggplant plant few months back and finally got it fruit. I got this fruit which is full green color and its as big as in the picture. Is this a green variety? or will it turn purple?

[img]https://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo22/toypassage/20120221_180451.jpg[/img]

thank you

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Eggplant come in many different varieties and colors. That one will not turn purple. Whatever color they grow from the onset is what they will be is my experience. I've grown green ones like yours, large purple ones, Ichiban that are long, thin and purple and the white ball shaped ones over the years. I even grew a variety last summer that was mainly white with light purple streaking on the peel.

Don't let them get too big on the bush or the seeds get larger and a bit tougher as they age.

teh

gumbo2176 wrote:Eggplant come in many different varieties and colors. That one will not turn purple. Whatever color they grow from the onset is what they will be is my experience. I've grown green ones like yours, large purple ones, Ichiban that are long, thin and purple and the white ball shaped ones over the years. I even grew a variety last summer that was mainly white with light purple streaking on the peel.

Don't let them get too big on the bush or the seeds get larger and a bit tougher as they age.

I see. Got confused because planted from packets of seeds with purples eggplants on the picutre. Thanks

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Oops. Bad seeds, or seeds not as advertised. I would write the seed company, maybe they will send you some new seeds?

jnunez918

Sounds yummy, I'll have to find seeds :D

teh

Marlingardener wrote:That sure looks like Louisana Long Green eggplants to me! We plant them here in Texas because they are reliable, less prone to disease, and very tasty (thin skins--no need to peel). We harvest them at about 6" or less.
Louisana Long Greens never turn purple--they turn yellow. That's when you harvest one or two to save for seed.
I see so I guess its really a mixed up. Normally how long does it takes for it to reach 6" ?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”