clutchrider

When to Soil Prep in CT

I'm itching to do it. The weather so far has been variable ranging from the mid 30's to 50's in the day and down to the 30's at night. No solid freezing for any extended period of time has occurred this winter so the ground is still pretty soft and I am actually going to be doing my Step 1 Halts in about a week on the grass.

I'm looking for advisement on when is a good time to get to work as I have planned out to cut the sod from my expansion and put it elsewhere in the yard. Any ideas? I've heard now, wait till May, wait for soil to be 60F, etc.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Tread with caution ! I happen to be just as confused as you are, actually. I'm right next to you in MA, but we both know that as soon as we plant out or start to prepare, we're going to get nailed with a snow/ice storm! OUr area's set to get something nasty on wednesday. I'm pushing for mid-to end March to start getting my stuff out at the moment, though I cheated and my gardens already prepped and set to go... fingers crossed we get our warm weather soon!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

It depends on the soil. Do not work it if it is too wet. Take a shovel and dig up a shovelful from 4 to 5 inches down, then take a hand full and squeeze it tight, then open your hand and poke it with a finger. If it falls apart and crumbles, you are good to work it. If it just sticks together and oozes, it is too wet.

If your ground was prepped in the fall, you can plant when it is dry enough in the top inch of soil. Just poke the seed in or make a little furrow then plant and cover.

Have you checked with your extension office to see if they have a planting calendar?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”