gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Got some stuff in the ground today

Eight Creole tomato plants, 4 bell pepper, 4 Hungarian hot wax peppers and 8 more broccoli hoping to get another crop in before the heat sets in.

I also put in many,many lettuce starts of several varieties plus other veggies that are now growing in starter pots that are not quite big enough to transplant. I've got my cucumber, Japanese Yard Long Bean, Soybean for edamame, okra and squash seeds waiting for some consistently warmer weather so they can be directly sown.

It's starting to look like a garden again. No longer is it partial rows of Kale, Swiss Chard, Beets, onions and garlic and the quite large and healthy artichoke plants. I didn't even break into a sweat pulling my rows by hand today. Better enjoy it now and store these days in the memory banks for when summer's heat arrives.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yay!! Don't you love it!! :) :)

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Yes I do RBG. Some of the pepper plants I put in last spring are still going strong. I picked about 2 dozen Jalapeno peppers earlier today. They are a bit smaller and a little milder than they grow in the summer's heat, but still nice to get fresh out the garden this time of year. I was at the local nursery yesterday and they even had Habanero and Ghost pepper plants for sale, but it is my experience they don't like even cool weather too much. The Habanero's were the first to go when our weather got into the 40's this past fall.

Not to worry Jane, your time is fast approaching. I put in my tomatoes and some peppers this time last year and had a great crop of tomatoes before the summer heat took them out. Some of my Creoles were absolutely huge. Our winter has been so mild that I can't see any freezing weather heading this way now to put a hurt on my efforts. Now to go knock wood since I likely just jinxed myself.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”