southerncomfort

More Raised Beds

Added a raised bed of concrete blocks 4' x 40'. Have a lot planted in there now. So far so good.

Had a monsoon rain today and flooded my collards. actually washed one or two transplants out of the ground.

I really need to build more raised beds in this part of my garden because of yard slope and way it drains. I am blessed to have a large area to garden.

Any suggestions on building raised beds made from wood ?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

4 x 40' that's a lot of raised bed!

Re making them out of wood - don't use boards! The first time I built raised beds I used I guess 1/2" thick boards with angle braces and made them as solid as I could. They only lasted maybe three years and then they were all warped and falling apart.

The beds I have now -- pictured here:

viewtopic.php?p=105961

are made from stacked 4x4 pine fence posts. Stack them, drill a hole down through the stack with a long drill bit, and pound steel rebar into the hole, all the way through the stack. The first ones I built are starting I think their tenth season and are going strong. The fence posts are cheap.

Yellowsnow
Cool Member

4x4's work nicely, but 2x10's or 2x12's work well with 3 posts per board. One on each end and one in teh middle. unless boards are treated they will rot after a few years. Level the top section by screwing onto posts, then you can rip the boards long ways to fill in the bottom as the land slopes away.

Another way would be to use 4x4's or 2x10's. Find the dimensions of the garden and how deep you want it. Find the highest point in your garden and dig a trench around a foot deep around the garden. Fit you want your garden 12" deep (or deeper if you have a lot of slope), find the highest point and cut a board 24" long. Stand it vertical, cut the next one and so on. If the lowest corner is a foot lower than the highest corner, the longest board would be 36" long on the lowest spot. once boards are put in and buried, top should be level. Fasten 2x4's or 1x6's or whatever, along the top to tie it all together. This is more labor intensive but allows a lot of flexibility. It also allows curves around trees or designs to be made. It also looks good when done.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What I was talking about was 4" x 4" posts, they are usually sold in 8' lengths, but may come in some other lengths as well. To make the typical 4' x 8' bed, it works out well to get some cut in half for the short sides.

The board idea for making curves and going around trees sounds nice.

What I do for leveling if needed (my first two were built on a concrete patio) is build the box across the slope. Put an extra (lengthwise)post on the down hill side (or more if needed). Bury the bottom post on the downhill side to whatever depth is needed to make it level.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”