amyliu11
Newly Registered

Garden Planter

Hi,

I am going to buy a long planter(about 14ft) to put it in my backyard, what vegetables or flowers can I plant? planter dimension: 14'L*14"W*12.5"H. I perfer long planter but will there be many problems on the maintanence? The two ends of planter are metal, but the body is composite, my husband said it's too strange and ugly, so I wonder your thoughts about it?
Our house decoration is going to be finished,planter is the last one.So it's urgent.Thanks!

Amy

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If your planter will sit on the ground/dirt, you can grow pretty much anything you want to grow in it... Break up the ground a bit first with a pitchfork before you put the bed down. It will help with drainage and letting the roots of your plants grow down into the soil.

Composite and metal shouldn't be much difficulty for maintenance. If you don't like the looks of it grow ground cover- things in the edge of your bed, (just inside it) to drape down over the sides. Oregano and thyme would be good for this and provide some herbs as well. Or plant some flowers in front of it; shorter things that won't grow up to shade what is in the beds. Nice mound-y things like hardy geraniums and sweet alyssum would be nice in front of it.

amyliu11
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener wrote:If your planter will sit on the ground/dirt, you can grow pretty much anything you want to grow in it... Break up the ground a bit first with a pitchfork before you put the bed down. It will help with drainage and letting the roots of your plants grow down into the soil.

Composite and metal shouldn't be much difficulty for maintenance. If you don't like the looks of it grow ground cover- things in the edge of your bed, (just inside it) to drape down over the sides. Oregano and thyme would be good for this and provide some herbs as well. Or plant some flowers in front of it; shorter things that won't grow up to shade what is in the beds. Nice mound-y things like hardy geraniums and sweet alyssum would be nice in front of it.
Thank you rainbowgardener, I'm going to plant mini rose and some herbs, is it suitable for vines? And I'm afraid the composite and metal ends look strange, they are two different materials after all.

Amy

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

On each end of the planter hide it with a round nice looking planter against the end that is a little taller!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”