lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Large Containers

What is the best source for large (12-20 gallon) pots for container gardening? I plan to limit my tomato planting to containers this year. I have found some pretty good prices online, but the shipping is outrageous.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

I LOVE the local home depot for containers :D They have these blue ones with ccloth/rope handles for between 5-6 bucks. Buy, drill holes in bottom, put in soil off you go!

Here's a shot of one of a zucchini from last year, in a container in question
[img]https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/Liskarialeman/Garden-6-3.jpg[/img]

As an FYI for tomatoes, though, you're going to want to go bigger than that. I tried a tomato out in a container the same size last year, and it got rootbound to the point where I had no soil left. Tomatoes get VERY giant even for these.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

The 50 gallon plastic drums can be cut in half and you will have 2 -25 gallon planters for a total of $10! They are usually used to hold some type of sugar or just about anything that is not poison! Mine are blue and have only two small screw cap holes in the top! You can even cut them the long way and have 2 over 3 foot long foot deep tubs Very strong and last for years!

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I bought a 15 gallon pot at a nursery (used, in good shape though), for $3. They also had 25 gallons I think he said they were $5. You could turn plastic totes/storage bins into containers. I have an 18 gallon I keep a small tree in. I think it was like $8 for it.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Try cragslist(people just want them gone and will give them away) or a nursery will sell them cheap the blue bins above are also sold at walmart. ( I love that blue color).
But they also come in many colors and buckets also work.
You don't have to use plant pots.

greenstubbs

I have some black ones like the blue ones mentioned. I have found that after a couple years the plastizers dry out and they will start to brake down and crack. I have built a few containers with 6' cedar fence planks and 2x2's and made my own. Total cost around $10. The interior size turns out to be 18" x 15" by 16" tall, however many gallone that turns out to be? I'm sure I'll get lots more years outta them than with the plastic time will tell.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Well, it seems that cattle farmers have a new version of the old mineral block, or protein licks. Now they use a product called SweetLik, and other names, that come in huge tubs. All the Coops carry their versions, as well as Tractor Supply and other places.

My co-worker who has a few cows had suggested I needed to find a farmer who had lots of cows. Well, right next to the old farmland that I own, and where I hunt, is a farmer that I know well. I began seeing these green and red containers in his fields, and realized that was exactly what I was looking for. I offered to pay for them, but he said I was doing him a favor. I love it when a plan comes together.

Not sure how many gallons these are, but they should work great. I also have some red ones and black ones.

[img]https://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/lakngulf/001_2012_April/IMG_0520.jpg[/img]

sciencegal

Since I don't have soil, I have rocks, most of my garden is in wooden half whiskey barrels. I got them are various hardware stores, and Home Depot usually has them. I've managed to successfully grow just about anything in them including carrots, turnips, beets, squash, greens. pole beans, and broccoli. They can be pricey, my first ones were only about $20, but now they are around $30, but they last forever, my oldest ones are now 5 years old with no sign of problems. I drilled holes in the bottom for drainage put about 6 inches of large rocks on the bottom then filled the rest with potting mix. They look really nice, too.

Duets

My local friendly nursery was most helpful, they have a mountain of huge containers. I am now the owner of some of these wonderful contaners, with holes & all. They work well, some are 5 gal. others are like 20-25 gal. & they were free!!!!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”