southerncomfort

Organic all the way ?

Not trying to start any controversy at all !!!

Just curious if most on this site are 100% Organic Gardeners or do some use pesticides.

I 100% respect your choice .... just curious.

Thanks!

applestar
Mod

I believe some of us are and some of us aren't.

Organic cultivation questions and their merits are usually discussed in the Organic Gardening forum and sometimes in the Permaculture forum, and general vegetable cultivation issues are discussed here in the Vegetable Gardening forum. I believe there is a wider readership and participation in the Vegetables forum and general questions will get a better response in the Vegetable forum and can be adapted for either method.

southerncomfort

That's clear enough ! Thanks!

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I try to grow 100% organic but unknowingly it probably is not 100%. I don't use any chemical fertilizers or pesticides.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm 90-some percent organic-- totally organic except for starting my seeds in Miracle Grow potting soil. But definitely there are well-respected gardeners around here who are not organic.
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I originally went organic because of necessity--my own!--and am now organic b/c of choice. (The story, in excruciating detail, is somewhere around here. Just do a search with cynthia_h as the author and maybe key words migraine and organic.)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

sixshooter

I try to be as natural as possible. I tend to not use the word organic when describing my garden because it just seems snobish. I agree its the best practice, but are the coffee grounds I put it my compost organic? No. If my tomatoes get ill will I try everything I can to remedy them? Oh hell yes.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

totally organic here, for a number of reasons, including money and laziness.

stryper

!potatoes! wrote:totally organic here, for a number of reasons, including money and laziness.
Bolded is not usually what I have hears associated with Organic. :D

treehopper

I wanted to go organic once...then the bugs came.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Plenty of organic ways to deal with bugs!

I call myself a lazy gardener. I do think once you get it going, natural gardening can be low fuss. I don't buy or use all those fertilizers, pesticides etc. I see some gardeners schedule for spraying things, fertilizing things, etc etc and it all seems like way too much work!

soil
Greener Thumb

Some people say I grow organic, others say I practice permaculture. I just like to say I grow good food, simple as that. Though my standards of farming are considered beyond organic.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

stryper wrote:
!potatoes! wrote:totally organic here, for a number of reasons, including money and laziness.
Bolded is not usually what I have hears associated with Organic. :D
like soil, it's actually a ways past organic. there's really little input/labor needed if you've got a system where different elements help each other, and diversity (especially of predators) is encouraged.

Royiah

I try to be as organic as possible becuase I like the idea of eating something that hasnt been covered in cemicals.
But I do admit We use bug and ant spray in our yard. Mostly for fleas and ants becuase one of our dogs are alergic to fleas and the others attack the ant piles. That and we usally get overridden with ants. :evil: (Big problem where I am.)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”