ruggr10
Green Thumb

Pop Up Greenhouse... Is it worth it?

Homedepot has a $99 pop up greenhouse...it's good size and with some shelving I'd have lots of space.

With temps in the 40s amazingly the last few weeks it makes me want to start growing...

My question... If I start some greens indoors can I put them out in this and would it be worth it? Even when it's really cold during the day, I've got a great spot for sun.

GomoIsGardening
Cool Member

Can't help you, but could you post the link so I could see it.

I really don't need a full green house in TX. This time of year a greenhouse would come in handy for seedlings.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

Here's the link.

it says $129 but our local one has it for 99.

https://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1v/R-100377433/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=greenhouse&storeId=10051

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Idk you could make one with plastic sheets and 2 by 4.
There's many ways to do a green house.
Inless you don't like building things. They have smaller ones for $40
And does it snow where you are? Will that support snow fall?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

If just interested in starting cold crops or getting tender transplants out in the sun on warm days, I would opt for a portable cold frame. They take up much less space, are less unsightly, and take less storage space when not in use. I have two Jewel cold frames and have been very happy with them. But it is pretty easy to make a more permanent cold frame using old windows or glass doors. One advantage to the cold frame solution is that during the fall, I just move the frame over a section in my garden and am able to keep things like arugula and lettuce growing through the colder parts of the winter. My oldest jewel cold frame is perhaps ten years old and still has additional life. When the twinwall fails, I'll simply replace it as the sturdy aluminum frame will probably outlast me.

southerncomfort

It got good reviews @ the link.

Got me interested now ! Might do just fine until I build my Dream Green House :-)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I have this dream of a nice permanent solar greenhouse. I am a builder by trade and could easily build it, however, I can't justify the cost when I only plant a couple dozen tomato and pepper starts per year. If I were to go for it, I would have to just put it in a "Hobby" context and not try to justify the cost, along with fishing boats, guns, ammo and etc. A plaything.

Perhaps the small $100 greenhouse comes under the same category? If you think you will get that much enjoyment out of it, why not?

southerncomfort

Yes - I probably couldn't totally justify my dream green house either ... but I do think (dream) that I would try to grow tomatoes and some other favorites year around.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Oh, southerncomfort, I see you are new here. Welcome to the forum.

southerncomfort

Thanks ! Looks nice.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

The first problem I see with that pop up greehouse is that the only venting you get is with the doors open. There is no screening to keep critters and unwanted pests out. The worst problem is no shade and those things get VERY hot on a sunny yet mild day.

I got mine through Gardener's Supply. It has built in shade, is about 6.5x5.5 feet and is 3 feet in height. It has large vented openings that are screened on the long sides and vented "windows" (also screened on the short sides. These can be easily opened and closed. I use this for hardening my transplants though I plan to start a few things out there this year. It takes up little space between the seasons.

Here's the link: [url]https://www.gardeners.com/Cold-Frame-with-Greenhouse-cover/VegetableGardening_SeasonExtending,37-443RS,default,cp.html[/url]

These portable units don't hold the heat over night so if you have plants that can't take the cold or frost, you would need to bring them in and out and that is a pain.

I set mine up mid to late March to warm the ground before I put anything out in it.

soil
Greener Thumb

I have 2 greenhouses now and will have a third by this winter most likely. I will say a few things.

I am not a fan of those pre made greenhouses, even the more expensive ones. every greenhouse should be site and use specific. that is it should be designed to fit the location it will be in, the environment, and what you will use it for.

another issue with those greenhouses is the heating and cooling. chances are it will be too hot when its hot, and still cold when its cold. oh and you have to water even when it rains.

judging by your first post if you are going to be starting seeds inside and bringing them out. a cold frame or even a pvc hoop tunnel will provide you with better results for cheaper.

if you want to overwinter plants or start seeds outside early, I start mine in early January. even before some people start theirs indoors under lights. for this the greenhouse has to be placed properly and extra measures taken by building a germination chamber aka sweat chamber( there is a thread here on it)

if you like buying stuff and enjoy showing it off to friends and such, those greenhouses are great for that. :D

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I built a greenhouse out of 2x4s and clear plastic about 30 years ago. The wind blew the plastic IN and OUT the green house acted like a bellows it sucked cold air in and hot air out. It was totally worthless.

I later replaced the plastic with 2 layers of glass, it worked great.

If that Home Depot tent type greenhouse has no leaks, plastic bottom made as part of the tent and a zipper door it might really work.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”