Gini

Red/Brown ants in my garden..

I see red/brownish ants in my garden..They are like 3-4mm long and they bite!!I am not sure if they do any harm to my vegetable but I don't want to take a chance.
What is best to use to get rid of them?Horticultural oil?Garlic oil?I prefer organic.
Thank you,..

Newt
Greener Thumb

Gini, I wonder if you have fire ants. I have searched and searched to see if I could find any info in the species of ants in Aruba. I can't find any specific info after searching for 30 minutes. Take a look at this site to see of any of these look familiar.
https://www.pestworld.org/Database/PestCategory.asp?CategoryID=1

Once we have an idea of which ants we can start from there with something safe. I saw your kitties in your pics. They are beautiful.

Newt

Gini

Newt wrote:Gini, I wonder if you have fire ants. I have searched and searched to see if I could find any info in the species of ants in Aruba. I can't find any specific info after searching for 30 minutes. Take a look at this site to see of any of these look familiar.
https://www.pestworld.org/Database/PestCategory.asp?CategoryID=1

Once we have an idea of which ants we can start from there with something safe. I saw your kitties in your pics. They are beautiful.

Newt

I checked the link ,..maybe they are the Odourous house ants because they smell like.... when crushed!.

The problem here is that nobody really studies ants,meaning that here they don't give them the scientific names..They are just called:
"red ants".
Arubans are very 'laid back' people,,they don't care much about things like that..Like the banana plant..It is just a banana plant.
I am the only one worrying around here,..

:lol:

Have a great weekend,,Thx (again)

Newt
Greener Thumb

Gini, oils won't get rid of your ants. There are a couple of things you can use. Diatomaceous earth (silicon dioxide) comes in a powder form and will dehydrate their bodies. You will want the food grade and not the one used for swimming pools. WEAR A DUST MASK when applying as it's harmful if breathed in. It won't harm your kitties, but it would be best applied near the ants nest or where they walk. You could put a thin layer on the soil around your plants if you see them there. Here's some helpful info about it.
https://www.ipmofalaska.com/files/DE.html

You can also make a bait of boric acid or borax. MAKE SURE THAT KIDS AND PETS CAN'T GET TO IT. You could use small plastic containers with a small hole in the top. Here's info on this method.
https://www.ipmofalaska.com/files/Borates.html

I do understand the 'laid back' attitude as I've spent time in other countries. I'm sure these folks don't suffer with many of the stress related diseases we do here in the US. :?

Newt

stacy
Newly Registered

hi gini I found this and just wondered if this is what you might have as you mentioned the smell when they crushed

Argentine ant

Argentine ant colonies can grow to monumental size. Their colony borders sometimes cover entire habitats. Argentine ant queens also assist with foraging for food. The ant gives off a musty odor when crushed. Worker argentine ants are about one sixteenth of an inch long. Queen argentine ants are one eighth of an inch to one quarter of an inch long. Habits: Argentine ants deposit trails continuously, instead of just from nest to food source. This habit ensures they do not waste time visiting the same area for food. They prefer to eat sweets but they will eat almost anything including meats, eggs, oils and fats

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Check for aphids under the leaves of the plants (tiny white insects). In my situation, I have fire ants all over my garden and they LOVE aphids.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”