SPierce
Greener Thumb

Purple Viking Potatoes

I thought I'd ask the forum for opinions- I'd like to try a little something different in addition to my seed red potatoes from last year, and couldn't find a lot in the search feature, so I ordered some purple viking potatoes... Has anyone tried them? Yay? Nay? I do a lot of roasting & boiling, along with some mashing here and there, and am looking for a potato with a different flavor that the fingerlings and red potatoes I always have.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I tried Purple Viking one year with mixed results. I don't think they compare to Yukon Gold, an all purpose potato. Purple viking has a good flavor and makes a nice white mash.

Eric

SPierce
Greener Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:I tried Purple Viking one year with mixed results. I don't think they compare to Yukon Gold, an all purpose potato. Purple viking has a good flavor and makes a nice white mash.

Eric
Hmm okay. Thank you :D Maybe I'll go half purple viking and half my regular red potato this year, and see how it works out.

applestar
Mod

I liked the All Blue and Adirondack Blue that I grew a couple of years ago. They were also prolific bloomers and set fruits for true potato seeds. I have seeds left to play with again this year.

soil
Greener Thumb

I grow purpl Viking potatoes and they are delicious. I found them to grow better in ground bs my stacked bins. These spuds would sell crazy fast at a farmers market. I will say however they are a bit picky compared to say a russet or Pontiac red. The taste though, omg good.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Thank you everyone for your opinions! Looks like it's a mixed bag depending on the person- so I guess there's only one way to find out-- grow them and give them a roast to see how they do! ;)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”