The Bearded Farmer

My little urban farm gets a new rain barrel setup!!

Finished up my 110 gallon rain barrel setup today! I think it turned out nice. I didnt hook it up to the downspot yet since the temps are still dipping into the 30s at night.

Hopefully no leaks!!!! I glued h*ll out of all the conections and all four bungs. *fingers crossed*

Only thing I need to add is an overflow back into the sewer. Haven't decided what I want to do there yet.

[img]https://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r156/alf00amf/SAM_0195.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r156/alf00amf/SAM_0196.jpg[/img]

The last little addition to the farm...
[img]https://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r156/alf00amf/SAM_0194.jpg[/img]

soil
Greener Thumb

do you have an overflow? you know even a light rain on your roof will fill those in like 5-10 minutes.

oops just saw you wanted it to go into the sewer. I would suggest overflowing it into rainwater catchment basins filled with plants and trees. which will help reduce or eliminate your summer watering needs. the plants and trees can be eatable or ornamental of course.

greenstubbs

The Bearded Farmer wrote:Only thing I need to add is an overflow back into the sewer. Haven't decided what I want to do there yet.
Just buy a 3rd barrel for the overflow? :idea:)

The Bearded Farmer

haha if only had acres of room! I might divert some to my pond at the overflow.

vebyrd36

That is nice. I have my used my graywater from the washing machine, sinks, and tubs to water trees in my front yard for many years. The key is to have a settling out area first.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

>>add is an overflow back into the sewer.

check your local codes and laws - that could be a very expensive decision.

obviously you need a provision for overflow - but piping it into a municipal sewage system may be "illegal"

when I added the greenhouse, I wanted to pipe my sump pump into the public sewer - a neat tidy solution to "where's it's gonna go?"

fortunately a plumber acquaintance picked up on that wild&crazy idea and pointed out, if caught, that'll be a $10,000 fine......

do not expect any of it to make sense. I could pipe it into the street, no problem. the street drains into the storm sewers, which - golly gee - go to the same place as the house sewage.

there's laws, and there's common sense. many times the two are mutually exclusive.

soil
Greener Thumb

one inch of rain, on 1000 square feet of roof = around 560 gallons. just so you all know.

The Bearded Farmer

My downspouts already go into pipes that go right to the sewer. So if I would have my overflow running there it wouldn't matter anyway.

Thanks for all the complimens guys!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”