Fig3825

Bummed

Well, it looks like I'm going to have to skip this season. My wife and I are building a house that is due for completion on September. We also have an infant son that was born this past September.

We're in the process of picking out kitchen cabinets tile, toilets, faucets, moldings, siding, roofing, etc etc etc. I never had any clue that this stuff would take so much time...

A bit bummed, but the new house will have a 'hydro room' built just for me in the basement. I can't wait to start hdyro gardening shortly after we get all settled in. :)

vebyrd36

Can you do a smal container garden. Say maybe tomato peper onion or lettuce. That will give you a ray of sunshine. :)

SPierce
Greener Thumb

vebyrd36 wrote:Can you do a smal container garden. Say maybe tomato peper onion or lettuce. That will give you a ray of sunshine. :)
I agree with this! There's no reason you can't have a few containers at least ;)

Fig3825

I probably could...but I just find myself so busy with the baby and the house. Every weekend is going to a tile store or a plumbing store or a builder's supply house to look at and pick stuff out. When we are not visiting places and making decisions, my wife is cleaning up a hoarding mess that her grandmother left behind when she passed away about 4 months ago and I'm home with the baby. Ren, our son, is only 4.5 months old, so it's still sleep, pee, change, eat, play, sleep, pee (and maybe poop), change, eat, play, etc etc.

Yes, I could find some time to squeeze in between changings and selections and trips to the supply houses, but I have come to value those little windows in time as potential nap times or just time to decompress from everything that is going on. I used to be an avid online gamer, but ever since I got married that has all but become an extinct possibility.

It all started when this woman who we are distantly related to set her house on fire 1.5 years ago and we took her in. Add that to the baby and new house mix. She's a drunk, also a hoarder and suffers dimensia. I think I've written about her somewhere else on these forums. She takes time away as well as she still lives with us. Constantly keeping her from digging trash out of the cans and hiding it in her room... And then there are the times when she gets drunk and falls and we have to clean her up or call the parameds...

Hopefully, though, come September, I'll only have our son and some fun house projects to work on...like building a bar in the basement and crafting the perfect hydro garden in my new room!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

And the demented relative isn't coming with you? Charity is nice and all but personally I would not have her in the house with my infant. She could just as easily burn your house down as hers (I'm sure you are trying to prevent this, but you can't watch her every minute with everything else you are doing), not to mention a zillion other potential disasters.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I'm just 2 hrs south of you! I used to live up there about 10 minutes from springfield mall. Moved to Richmond 9 years ago. Swing by and you can throw a few seeds in my garden bro! Or if you REALLY are scrapped for time, just come down and I'll let you pick some stuff and sniff a few plants and take home some fresh veggies lol. Get your room done, it sounds like you're gonna have one heck of a horticultural sanctuary for yourself down there!!

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

now you can't beat that...very cool

vebyrd36

Thank you for making a difrence in the Elderly (Please stay safe). I give you big hug for that. As to your time, it will even out cuz you know we are not given more then we can handle. :)

Fig3825

@ Rainbow - Not sure at this point. In order to ease the pain, we may just hire someone to look in on her every day. However, in the past 1.5 years since we took her in, she has become so dependant that it borders on ridiculous. I think most of the time she's just screwing with us. We left to go see my family in Atlanta several months ago and she did fine alone there for 4-5 days. However, as soon as we walk through the door, the dishes start piling up again, she can't find the box of food that is three feet from her, she can't figure out how to turn her radio on...just dumb stuff like that. We are apparently fast becoming her crutches. She finds plenty of time to walk to the store and buy wine to get hammered on when we are not around, but when we are it's 'can you take me to the store? It's too cold... My feet hurt..." I see through most of it by my wife bends to her will almost all the time. Sometimes she stands her ground in her efforts to get her to stop drinking, but if we refuse her, she'll sneak off and buy it and that is, to us, more dangerous because then she's out on the roads drunk. The store is only about 1/4 mile, but this isn't exactly a rural area.

@GardenRN: Thanks for that. You made my day. I'll be sure to travel the 1.5 to 9 hours to Richmond (depending on traffic and construction) to sniff around in your garden. LOL! Let me know if you are ever in the area, though, and I'll do the same. :) I worked in Springfield for nearly 4 years on a big project we had down there for the USACE.

@vebyrd26: Yeah, we try. It's really a thankless job when you are dealing with someone who seemingly is as helpless as she leads us to believe. The reason we think she's smarter than she leads us to believe is a particuliar incident that occurred just two months ago. We share a common relative that is not really hers, but my wife's family. A crippled son of my wife's aunt that passed away many years ago. He had some money sitting in an account and when Nancy found out about it, she went to the bank and talked them into giving her the money stating she was his only surviving relative. It was only about $800 bucks, but she's already lost it and complains all the time about having no money when it's simply hidden in some pocket or some cigarette box somewhere in her room that she can't locate now. She hides stuff all the time and loses it the following day. She really acts like she has Alzheimer's because she'll ask the same exact question 5 times in 2 minutes, completely forgetting that she just asked it. But dementia can have the same affects. She's just rotting her brain and body with alcohol and there's nothing we can do about it aside from strapping her to a bed. She'll find a way to get it. We've tried cutting her off financially (since we buy her anything she wants, whenever she wants it) but I guess all the hidden cash ends up being found when the crutch is removed. Anyway, enough griping on my part. This is supposed to be about gardening! :)

orgoveg
Green Thumb

I have quite a bit of experience with an alcoholic. You're absolutely right when you say that "She'll find a way to get it." There is nothing that you or anyone else can do to stop her from destroying herself. It's not entirely her fault or anyone else's fault. It's a very sad sickness.

You mentioned that you had "tried" cutting her off, financially. It sounds like you didn't stick with it. She suddenly found the missing money that she had and it would eventually have run out. If you stick to your guns and give her no money, there are two possible outcomes.

1. She will be forced to deal with the fact that she has no access to alcohol and learn to live without it.

2. She will become desperate and do anything imaginable to continue her lifestyle. Her desperate acts could be very destructive to your family.

I know that it's an extremely difficult situation for you. My hat is off to you for giving this woman a home, but I know the sacrifices that it has cost you. Alcoholism affects the whole family; not just the alcoholic. An alcoholic is no different from a drug addict. Alcohol is another mind-altering chemical that happens to be legal for purchase. It is chemically similar to heroin, which was long known as the "most addictive drug" before crack cocaine and crystal methamphetamines came along. The alcoholism "disease" progresses to a slow, agonizing death.

I don't intend to preach or give advice to you, but I can't help thinking that there must be a public "home" for her which could benefit her and you. I hope that you can find such a place. You deserve to have your sanity restored.

Meanwhile, I hope you get to grow something :)

soil
Greener Thumb

make some seedballs, toss them out into your yard, and reap the rewards of natural grown food. no effort on your part to "Tend" a garden.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Fig3825 wrote:I probably could...but I just find myself so busy with the baby and the house. ...

Hopefully, though, come September, I'll only have our son and some fun house projects to work on...like building a bar in the basement and crafting the perfect hydro garden in my new room!
What will happen in September that can't happen any sooner? It sounds very promising. :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”