nancygene

Planting according to the moon signs

I am wondering if anyone uses the Moon Sign book to plant and have you found it to be useful? I know that my dad used to use the Moon Sign book to plant, but I have never been able to figure out a lot that the book suggests.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you type moon signs into the Search the Forum Keyword box, you get a few hits (13) including this one:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=63745#63745

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I always thought that the approach ranked alongside voodoo and other superstitious practices. On the other hand, when I was much younger, an elderly friend who I knew, ALWAYS planted by the moon signs. His gardens were always far more vigorous and productive than mine have ever been. He was also an avid organic gardener when the practice wasn't overly popular.

vebyrd36

I have always planted by the moon. I grew up seeing My Dad and granpa reading it.

nancygene

I know that my dad suggested breaking my child off the bottle using the moon sign book and it sure seemed like it was much easier to break her off of it with very little discomfort to me or to her.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I have done several Google searches on the subject of planting by the moon signs. I got loads of hits, none of which were from any university or scientific report. Surely if there was any credence to this "phenomena" someone in the scientific community would have something to say about it? Farmers and ranchers who rely on growing things would be practicing it?

This all seems to reinforce what I have felt all along: There is no benefit in consulting the moon when planting. Its strictly folklore!

We would all do better by consulting things like the last average frost date for our area, soil temperatures, air temperatures, soil moisture, and the extended weather forecast. For sure don't plant warm weather crops when there is 5 days of rain and cold forecast. The seed will likely lay in the ground and rot, no matter where the moon is.

RickRS

jal_ut wrote:We would all do better by consulting things like the last average frost date for our area, soil temperatures, air temperatures, soil moisture, and the extended weather forecast. For sure don't plant warm weather crops when there is 5 days of rain and cold forecast. The seed will likely lay in the ground and rot, no matter where the moon is.
Now there you go, getting all practical and reasonable :mrgreen:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”