The Bearded Farmer

Logs for raised beds??

Looking for a new border for my raised beds. I was hoping to use something recycled since I like to keep my gardening efforts as green as possible.

Would logs be a stupid choice?? I am a little concerned about pests but I cant see how it would be any worse than recycled lumber.

Any thoughts??

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I have a friend who does all of his that way. It works just fine! He used pine for a few, and he needs to replace those about every 3 years. On others he used cedar (which I think is a better choice) those have been going for 5 years and still looking good. And since cedar is a natural repellent anyway, pests aren't much of a concern.

If you don't use cedar, take the bark off if you can. Otherwise when the bark starts to loosen, that's where most of your pests hide. Also, if you can, use bigger (larger diameter) logs. It makes for a deeper bed without stacking.

vebyrd36

I like railroad ties. I then put down cardboard and newspaper followed be soil peat moss perlite and happy frog. Place ur plants then water. The moister level stays even. I'll be creating another one of these beds when the snow and cold is gone for my strawberries, onions and cannas that are in my library at the moment.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

railroad ties EEk!

Eric

vebyrd36

Why EEK wrap them in black plastic. Get the ties at lowes.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Plastic EEK! :lol: I must remember this is the general Vegetable Gardening section and not the Organic Gardening section.

Me bad, Eric ( Ereek! )

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

The Bearded Farmer wrote:Looking for a new border for my raised beds. I was hoping to use something recycled since I like to keep my gardening efforts as green as possible.

Would logs be a stupid choice?? I am a little concerned about pests but I cant see how it would be any worse than recycled lumber.

Any thoughts??
I think this is a very good idea. Like Jeff mentioned, I would use a spud and remove the bark, but it's not necessary.

Eric

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote: I would use a spud and remove the bark, but it's not necessary.
How do you remove bark with a potato?? LMFAO :-() LMFAO

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Laugh it up fuzzball :> You can laugh at my Ereek! joke but a Spud is a bark removal tool.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=bark+spud&id=777F7C380AC7E6C7B54CB7C69FC3E7F6D21456D8&FORM=IQFRBA#x0y0

Eric

The Bearded Farmer

Thats great news. I was planning on removing the bark anyway because I thought about weather sealing them somehow.

I think I will stay away from railroad ties only because they are generally heavily treated. Not to mention I'm really looking to recycle. something!

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:Laugh it up fuzzball :> You can laugh at my Ereek! joke but a Spud is a bark removal tool.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=bark+spud&id=777F7C380AC7E6C7B54CB7C69FC3E7F6D21456D8&FORM=IQFRBA#x0y0

Eric
I know it is, but when I read it all I could think of was an image of someone trying to scrape off bark with a potato. :)

As far as treating the logs go, I wouldn't use much more than some kind of oil. Remember, whatever you treat the logs with will end up in your garden soil, and eventually, in you.

applestar
Mod

Yeah, we were on our way to the interstate and I saw that the railroad ties for a freight train tracks near the exit had been completely replaced -- stacks of old ties all along the tracks.

All I could think of was what kind of stuff must be soaked into them even as old as they are -- or ESPECIALLY as old as they are -- and hoping no one was thinking of making off with them for their gardens. :shock:

Don't be surprised if your logs start growing mushrooms. My garden enjoyed a burst of different fungi growths for a while. I still get what looks like turkey tail on the logs but it might be false turkey tail or something else. I don't pick any of them since I can't tell what they are, but let them go through their life cycles.

greenstubbs

My garden has been lined with RR ties for the last 10 growing seasons and I have never had a problem with anything bad happening towards my crops with whatever's been applied to the ties. I think they make a great border for a garden. I have 2 that are starting to fall apart and will have to be replaced after this season, but they were bad to begin with so no biggie.
With the Railroads going to and using concrete ties, what is supposed to happen to the old wooden ones? I'd rather see them going to better use than to get ground up, mixed with whatever and sold as potting soil or even worse, mulch.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

real railroad ties were in ages past "preserved" with creosote.
creosote has some suspected health concerns.

"landscape timbers" are not really railroad ties. years back the CCA treatment for preservation was standard, CCA has been replaced with other preservatives which are supposed to be less "dangerous"

without some kind of testing, it'd be a guess as to what was used on (pretty much any) of the "older" stuff.

I side stepped the whole issue and used hickory timbers from a local saw mill. they'll last a good long time - and being real local, they're cheaper than any of the store/salvage yard offerings.

vebyrd36

With everything considered I have been using ties for many tears. No third eye or ear yet. Honestly whatever makes a person comfortable. :)

Skian

"My garden has been lined with RR ties for the last 10 growing seasons and I have never had a problem with anything bad happening towards my crops with whatever's been applied to the ties. I think they make a great border for a garden."

There is a good chance that the railroad ties will out last you. Therefore you will not have to replace them. Your concern should be with the soil. If the creosote and whatever else is in those old RxR ties has leached into your soil in the last 10 years has now leached into your body from the vegetables you have consumed. The qoutes below are telling you something.

"As far as treating the logs go, I wouldn't use much more than some kind of oil. Remember, whatever you treat the logs with will end up in your garden soil, and eventually, in you."

"real railroad ties were in ages past "preserved" with creosote.
creosote has some suspected health concerns."

Seems like good advice.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”