nedwina

No more mini blind/Sharpie frustrations for me anymore. I cut up soda cans into strips and write on 'em with a ballpoint pen now. (Put a magazine or something soft underneath, you get better clarity/scribing.) Just punch a hole and wire them on to wooden stakes or directly on the trellis, cage, or even the plant itself. Pitch in recycle bin when done!

If you don't drink soda, (or don't want to wrestle with a can or trash your scissors) you can get a handful of thin aluminum flashing squares from any hardware type place for cheap. They're about 4x6 and come in packs. Score using a box knife & ruler, & wiggle until it snaps apart. Super easy.

And keep a journal with lists and maps.

nedwina

Gary350 wrote:Draw a map on paper. Easy way to do the map is to use letters like T for tomato, S for squash, K for okra, C for corn, B for beans, P for peppers, O for onion.

If I plant 4 types of tomatoes, 3 rows with 10 plants per row then I mark them T1, T2, T3, T4, on the map.

I make notes T1= Beefsteak, T2= Super Star, etc.

Gargen map looks like this.

C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C

K K K K K K K K K K K K K K K K K

T1 T1 T1 T1 T1 T1 T2 T2 T2 T2

T3 T3 T3 T3 T3 T3 T2 T2 T2 T2

T4 T4 T4 T4 T4 T4 T4 T4 T4 T4

P1 P1 P1 P1 P2 P2 P2

S S S S S S S S S

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O
Nice. Easily saved in Word as a doc, or printed & put into a 3 ring binder journal. Great design, thanks~

runfox
Cool Member

I found some cheap, little white plastic strips at my Lowes where I bought some seeds, that works so far. The reason for my question was I wanted to know how you all do it, to hear some new or different ways. I have mapped mine out on grid paper last couple of times. My garden is small, three rows 25' long.
I am trying to better manage what I grow where, cause I seam to plant too many Zucchini and squash , and then have too much at once. So I'm trying to plant less, leave myself some room, then a month later plant a few more, so as to stagger my harvest by a month. Trying to have some veggies spread out over a few months rather than have a bunch all at once.
Still learning that. here in fla I have a long window for harvest.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

I use a spread sheet to draw the garden to scale and then fill it in with the plants I intend to grow. I have an overview and then more detailed drawings. Once I'm done, I print it all out and put the drawings into sheet protectors and then into a three ring binder which is never far away. This allows me to take it out to the garden, it stays relatively clean and I have a record from one year to another. It is also easier to walk out into the garden and plant seeds or seedlings because I know where they are going.

I also use this to "map" the plug flats I start seedlings in. These are quite helpful the next year because I know when I started a type/variety, how it germinated and if my timing was right and I can make necessary adjustments.

I don't use markers in the garden. I do use tags that are attached to the tomato plant especially when growing so many varieties.

Some of us like a lot of detail - I'm one of them. :D

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

being a classic nerd, I use AutoCAD to create a drawing of the garden.

overlaying the basic drawing with a grid is a piece of cake.

copy machines - wonderful devices.

make a copy of the drawing, pencil in what went where; three ring binder year to year.

nadda' problem.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”