schoch79
Newly Registered

SW facing wall

Hi everyone. I'm new here and mostly joined because I am about to start a garden at a new house and have a question I just can't answer myself. My back yard faces the NW and the neighbor has a tall wood "wall", that separates our yards, that faces the SW on my side. During the summer the grass in its shade grows really well but for a good part of the day it remains damp long after the rest of the yard has dried up, but does eventually dry and get sun, (just for an example of the shade there). I've never really thought to see how many sunlight hours that spot gets through the day so I can't help with that info. Can I grow most vegetables there? I would love to use that spot because it is the most out of the way spot in the yard but am concerned about the shade. I was originally planning to plant asparagus there but then remembered about the shade and have my doubts now. I can only assume that peppers and tomatoes would not thrive there. I'm also considering some beans and cucumbers, maybe even some summer squash or zucchini or something like that. I know that this post dragged on but thank you for your replies.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

the sun is high in the sky in the summer and a fence 6 feet high will not block that much sun 4 feet out from the fence. Grow lettuce closer to the fence since shade keeps lettuce cool in the summer months. can you paint the fence white on your side for reflected light!

schoch79
Newly Registered

I really wasnt planning on planting lettuce but I have kinda considered it after looking around online. I would much rather be able to use it for something else like what I listed but maybe lettuce is my only option. It is such a long section of the yard and like I said the main reason I was concerned is because of how long it takes for the grass there to dry, even in the summer.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I have grown tomatoes on the west side of a building where they did not get any sun until after noon. They did well.

I can see how that fence could create quite a shady area in the morning, but the area should get lots of good afternoon sun if there are no trees blocking the sun. I think most things would do OK there.

Welcome to the forum.

soil
Greener Thumb

id plant raspberries.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”