tappy
Newly Registered

New gardner in Oz seeking advice on where to begin

Hi all.

My name is Frank and I am new to gardening.

I would like to grow vegetables and fruit for my home. I live on a cliff near the coast in Australia.

I have no idea what I am doing.

I would be very grateful if someone would be able to direct me to a thread that will get me going. I'm just not sure where to begin.

Frank

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Lets be Frank since we are! I would click on the vegetable lnk on here and read as much as you can. Lots of great infor there. then get on the tomato link since most people grow tomatoes! Welcome and feel free to ask questions!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I love this place, but honestly I would suggest you look for something more local to you. Beyond the most basic stuff of how to plant seeds etc, I can't tell you anything about gardening in Australia, where it is a different day from me and the seasons are all backwards :) Like it is summer there, getting ready to go into fall, right? Your ecology, climate, native plants etc etc are totally different than anything I've ever seen.

There are people from around the world here at least visiting and a number of Aussies have stopped by at different times, but none of them seem to stick and become regulars. I'm sure that's because we aren't really speaking their language (metaphorically and to a certain extent literally). The large majority of the regulars around here are USAians with a smattering of UK and Canada.

Look around for Aussie gardeners, on-line and off:

https://www2b.abc.net.au/tmb/Client/Board.aspx?b=72

https://www.aussiegardening.com.au/

But sure, feel free to browse around anything that interests you.... there's a ton of info here already...

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Au contraire, dear Rainbow; we have a couple of fairly active Strines here right now! :)

Frank, the best way to get Australia-specific gardening assistance is to broadcast the word "Australia" or "Oz" or another clue in the titles of your posts. That way, you'll attract more interest from gardeners in your region. In fact, I've taken the liberty of adding Oz to the title of this very thread, in hopes that fellow Aussies will drop by and say G'Day.

Happy gardening!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Flatlander_MB

I think your best bet would be to fly me down there to walk you through things step by step. :D

Is your cliff on the East or West coast? I have some fond memories of the cliffs in Byron Bay from my year there "studying" abroad.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”