DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Anyone have a way to speed up time?
Doing something you like to do. Having Fun.

Eric

RogueRose
Green Thumb

I just want to say that if you need a tiller for not huge amounts of space - this one: https://www.amazon.com/Earthwise-TC70001-11-Inch-Electric-Cultivator/dp/B004H4X6Z6/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1343694390&sr=1-1&keywords=electric+garden+tiller is pretty awesome and packs a punch. I like it too because it doesn't take any gasoline and makes me feel good about being zero-emissions. :)

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

Thanks for the suggestion, but that's a bit undersized for my [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Naa7pGBrvuU]yearly tilling job[/url]. :D

I just bought myself a 5 HP gas tiller.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Maybe you should try one of these tillers. It has useful emissions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_32z5rBGp4

Eric

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

Well, I've had this now for almost 11 months, and I'll say that it's a 2nd best large garden purchase I've made, after my broadfork.

During the last 11 months I've probably used it 6-8 times, which I'd _never_ have done if I'd had to rent one every time.

My 4,000 sf garden is an old horse paddock, and until a given area's been deeply broken up at least once, it's like concrete. I've been planting new areas as much as possible, broadforking and then tilling as deeply as I can. That first tilling is pretty brutal, and I have to make 2-3 passes, and occasionally lean on the tiller to get it through the bigger clods that I've forked up.

If I don't use the broadfork first, the tiller only goes down 3-4 inches and just skates over the hardpan. (It was the same with the rented Baretto tiller). "Tilling" new areas in my paddock without forking first is really not more than just mowing.

A second tilling in a given area is much, much easier than the first time.

But after 3 seasons about 1/2 of my total area has been thoroughly worked at least once. Having this little tiller at my disposal means I can do a few hundred sf at a time, as my time permits, vs. having to plan a huge one-day, multi-blister job because I have an expensive, one-day rental.

I did have to take the unit back into the shop to get the starter thingy and cord replaced, and that cost me $75. But overall I'm very happy with my purchase of a small tiller in general and of this unit in particular.

estorms

I have a small stehil. stiehl? stihle? It is made by the chain saw people. It is a little heavier than my old Mantis, but easier to manage. It was about $400.00.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

After nearly 8 years of service with this old Pony, I'm ready for an upgrade:

It's been great, but I think I just use it too hard for its size. The 5 hp motor is probably fine when it's in perfect tune, but if it's not perfect, it stalls. I also don't till in straight lines. I make sharp turns, and I run it in small circles when I'm digging out pits to fill with manure and compost for my Atlantic Giants.

But, more importantly, I've broken many major mechanical parts. I've broken one handlebar (fixed, and now with a welded reinforcement bar), the recoil starter cover, I've sheared off the two bolts that hold the back end to front end (successfully removed and replaced), I've sheared off one of the bolts in the mid-section (un-fixable), the debris shield has been run over backward so many times that it looks corrugated, I've broken many tines, and the spark plug wire needed replacing. The reversing clutch also no longer works. The belt is getting loose, and the replacement belt is difficult to find. I take it in for maintenance/repair at least once a year, and the guy says that all replacement parts for this model are getting hard too find.

If this were a real pony I think I would have euthanized it last year :shock: .

Given the intensity and frequency of my use, I'm thinking I can justify spending up to $1,000 this time. I probably won't sell the old one; I'll keep it as a backup.

I think I want a counter-rotating tine model, too. Despite a decade of fairly intensive planting, the soil still turns into concrete in late Spring, just before I need to plant corn and pumpkins. With a forward rotating design, the tiller catches and "skates" over the hard stuff.

Any suggestions for an upgraded model? I'm thinking ~8 hp, counter-rotating tines, a front bumper, and a more rugged overall design. Open to new or used, as long as it's durable and reliable.

Thanks!

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

TheWaterbug wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:54 am
After nearly 8 years of service with this old Pony, I'm ready for an upgrade:
I ended up getting an FRC800 for $700!

It works great!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”