stryper

Gotta love NOAA

https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/grad/solcalc/

So I was thinking it would be great to know if my idea for my shade garden that works beautifully in my mind actually would.

after finding this sight, I was able to determine that what I thought was generally correct. The way the sun moves in my area and the position of the buildings and trees currently on my property suggest that my shade bed will get alot of morning sun and then basically be in indirect sun or partial shade or even full shade depending on the month in varying degrees for the rest of the day.

Since the tool uses google maps you should be able to zoom in to see your house.

Despite what people say the government puts out so pretty cool stuff.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Nice I have a shade spot or two in my yard. Clovers with purple flowers grow good there.
I want to find more stuff to put there.

stryper

that was exactly my thought too.

Obviously, you know from experience where in your yard it is generally shady. But with this tool you have actual data to look at.

In just playing around with this. I discovered two times in the year where for about 3-4 weeks, the "shade" spot actually gets sun all day. Working during the day I would have never noticed that.

Now that is not enough to probably grow anything as there are very few veggies with a 30 day maturity that I am interested in growing. But it does help to plan for those times so larger plants can shade more.

Now to get the bed built and soil prepped for a Feb/march planting of broccoli and carrots, among others.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”