rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Tomatoes and chard, because they keep producing over such a long season. Swiss chard is my absolute favorite thing to grow, because unlike the tomatoes, no insects or diseases ever bother them, they are dead easy to grow and one 8' row provides all the chard two of us can eat, from April to Nov. Amazing!

Third for me would have to be basil. Another very productive, amazingly useful plant. Last year not only did I dry jars of basil, and make and freeze bunches of pesto, distill basil essential oil for use in soaps and medicinally, I also made green basil jelly and purple basil pancake syrup. Got rave reviews on all of it... what else could you do so many different things with!?

(PS herbs as a group is cheating! Can you see why they say tomatoes are the gateway drug of the gardening addiction? :) )

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Independence, Self Confidence and Persistence.

Eric

soil
Greener Thumb

I'm with potatoes, imagining a world where I can only grow three things is depressing. though if I was in that situation I would go for.

wheat - thousands of uses (breads, cakes, soups, pastas, and so on)

tomatoes - hundreds of uses( soups, dried, sauces, and so on)

broccoli- nutrition rich, and the diverse potential genetic background to selectively breed new varieties of greens and veggies for different flavors and uses.

used together and given some time for
plant breeding you can make an unlimited amount of different recipes.

ps - if I could only grow one thing, id grow grass. then on that grass I would raise beef, chicken, lamb, turkey, pork, duck, goose, and rabbit. then I think ill be set for food, as grass is easy to grow as long as it gets water.

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

I'm a pepper/eggplant kind of guy.. so just to pick 3 things is really hard.. but

bell peppers because I am a former head cook and I use them alot even at home.

tomatoes.. well just because lol

cucumbers... well with all three I can make a mean salad lol

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Rainbow, OK, I'll change it to one herb, my favorite, sweet marjoram. :oops:

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Why can I only grow 3 things? I ask because it matters. If it's just how much room I have one answer, if it's because I'm on a very tiny deserted island and I have to survive on it, different answer. I'll go with more of a survival answer.

Potatoes-you can live on them alone

Hot Peppers-to flavor the rancid meat I'll probably have to cook and eat

Peanuts-valuable source of protein

Royiah

1- Tomatos
2- Cucumbers
3- Bell pepper

Intriguedbybonsai

Cucumbers
I love their crunchy, faintly sweet taste. You can pickle them, smother them in ranch dressing, or eat them plain with a little salt. What's not to love about these guys?

Yellow Crookneck Squash
I absolutely love these things. Smooth, buttery, and melt in your mouth yummy. I love them seasoned, battered, and deep fried until golden brown.

Sweet Potatoes
Another good eat. I love to boil, or roast them until tender. Then peel, mash, add some butter, a little cinnamon, and *drools*

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Tomatoes and peppers are a definite two. I would use the third to rotate, so it would vary each year. I suppose the first year would be watermelon.

Interesting question!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Ok, If this is based on survival, winter pantry, I 100% agree with James (jal_ut). Potatoes - Dry Beans - Squash would be the top 3 and add flour corn - duck eggs.

Eric

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

gun ammo scope I win

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

dustyrivergardens wrote:gun ammo scope I win
what kind of seeds do you grow those from?

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

tomatoes peppers garlic

lorax
Greener Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:
dustyrivergardens wrote:gun ammo scope I win
what kind of seeds do you grow those from?
The seeds of war?

sixshooter

Thanks for everyones responses. I just wanted ro read everyones opinions for fun and see what some crucial things to grow are. I don't have a HUGE garden space, but I have enough to enjoy planting new things and experimenting a litte; but at the same time I always wish I had more space. No real reason for the 3. All just for the sake of conversation since I'm frozen in right now.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”