orgoveg
Green Thumb

St. Clare Heirloom Seeds

I'm close to placing an order with this company as they have everything I want in one place. They are on the "recommended" list at another gardening website but that doesn't mean they didn't pay to be on that list. I only hesitate because they don't list a phone number saying they "don't have time to answer the phone". Orders are online-only or you can write them a letter.

So, I'm wondering if any of you have dealt with them before.

Thanks

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I went to the website and found perhaps more useful info. They have the Better Business Bureau symbol, unauthorized posting of which constitutes fraud--and the BBB vigorously defends its reputation. They've also signed the Safe Seed Pledge, which counts (at least with me!).

However, the "no phone" thing just rankles. I had an absolutely terrible experience with another family-run seed biz (but in another state, not Wisconsin, like these people are), and they sometimes answered the phone, sometimes didn't. But the real problem was follow-through: it was completely random.

If you have doubts, go back to the site you found them at--no, the rankings are not paid for--and read individual reviews regarding their service. I've posted a couple of reviews there myself in the past, so I know that the posts come from just regular people and aren't solicited.

Best wishes for a successful order! :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

webmaster
Site Admin

That looks like a legit business. You can't fake the BBB rating. Just click through to [url=https://www.bbb.org/wisconsin/business-reviews/seeds-and-bulbs-retail/st-clare-heirloom-seeds-in-gillett-wi-1000006135/]see their BBB rating as listed on the BBB website[/url].

The lack of a phone number on this business might be a reflection of how busy they are. Limiting business contact to email helps for organizing time. Hard to schedule random phone calls.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Well, I got impatient and placed the order this morning - I'm in a hurry to start some of the seeds. By early afternoon, I had an email telling me that my order had shipped. That's a very positive sign.

I'll report back when I receive the order.

Interesting that the BBB information you found lists their phone number :) Thanks for looking it up.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Well, I said that I would report back with my experience, so here it is, thus far...

I could not believe that I placed my order on Monday and I received my seeds today (Wednesday). Everything that I ordered is here in clearly labeled envelopes, along with a pack of free seeds. I just sowed the seeds that I need to grow immediately and I also sowed the free seeds to experiment with. They don't print a catalog, but they included a front/back single page "newsletter" which includes a 10% off coupon for my next order of $30.00 or more.

So far, I am impressed and it looks like they are simply smart about keeping their expenses to a minimum (no phone calls and no catalogs). It will be quite awhile before I can report on my experience with the seeds.

For now, St. Clare Heirloom Seeds gets my "green thumbs up"!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Great feedback! Thank you! :D

Cynthia

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Nice report. That is prompt service. Hope the seeds are good.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

The free "Scotch Blue Curled" kale seeds that I received popped up within 2-3 days. You can see them in the row on the right-hand end. The "German Johnson" tomato seeds that I ordered began to pop up yesterday (6 days after sowing). They are in the middle row and featured in the closer photo.

You can see my homemade starter kit of a box bottom, plastic grocery sacks liner, and cut paper towel tubes filled with organic "Seed Starting Jiffy-Mix". The Jalepeno, Cayenne, and Rutgers tomato seeds were saved from last year's crop. I've been saving the Rutgers seeds for several years so they are accustomed to my growing conditions. I have quite a dilemma deciding what to do with them now as I hope to do the same with the German Johnsons, but I can't keep them from cross-pollinating in a small garden.

I know many of you start hundreds of seeds but I run a very small strip of garden on the only part of my property that gets adequate sunlight. I direct-sow most of my stuff later in the spring.

[img]https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh194/abaction/100_1846.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh194/abaction/100_1843.jpg[/img]

gardenvt
Green Thumb

Isn't it great to have seedlings just pop up in a few days? It always makes me feel like I am doing something right. I have 12 dozen onions seedlings going and they are getting a second leaves. They weren't there this morning but 5 hours later -------

If you haven't grown or eaten Kale, you are in for a treat. The Blue Scotch is shorter than other varieties but spreads out more.

Sounds like everything worked out well with the seed company.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Yeah, I'm very pleased with the seed company. I guess that since I was so suspicious to begin with and I rarely have positive experiences with any sort of business these days, I feel compelled to spread the word. Everybody complains when they have a beef, but you don't see positive remarks as often.

I've been growing "red winter" kale (I think it's a Russian variety) the past few years with mixed results. I love it when it turns out right. This year, I decided to try "Vates, Dwarf Blue Curled" kale which they sent me along with the bonus variety. I will direct-sow the Vates seeds later.

I never mentioned the other seeds I got from them which were "Black Seeded Simpson" lettuce, "Vates" collards, and "Seven Tops" turnips. They were the only company I could find that had them all in one place (along with the German Johnson tomatoes and Vates kale). I have alot of other seeds that I saved from last year and I'm trying to scale back to focus on things that I've had success with (and that my family will actually eat). I've grown alot of strange stuff over the years. Tastey and nutritious stuff that easily grows in the native soil, but I'm the only one who will eat it :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”