RickRS

Swiss chard in Deep South

U of Florida's gardening advice includes swiss chard as "a year round alternate green". I've never grown swiss chard and have added that to my late start winter garden. What the chance that swiss chard will produce as it warms up in spring and gets hot in late spring?

And as a first time grower, do I just cut the larger leaves to harvest so the plant keeps going, as one does for turnips grown for greens?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes and yes and yes!!

Swiss chard is my absolute favorite thing to grow! Spinach bolts as soon as it gets hot, but the swiss chard just keeps going and going and going...

Yes, just keep cutting leaves and it will keep growing more.

I grow one 8' row of chard each year and it gives as much chard as two of us can eat, all season long from before last frost in the spring to well after first frost in the fall (it is tolerant of cold and frost AND heat, you can't beat that).

Use it raw or cooked the same way you would spinach. Any recipe you would use spinach in, you can substitute swiss chard. I substitute chard in my spinach lasagne recipe and like it better than the original.

PS Welcome to the Forum!

RickRS

Shows like I going to be just fine with my planting, except possibly for the quantities. If an 8 foot row can do 2 people for the entire planting season I maybe in trouble :D . Minimum seed purchase at the "seed and feed" store is enough for a 100 foot row and it's planted broadcast style in a 1 1/2 foot by 40 foot row in the garden. Wife and her sister can't let a seed go unplanted. Intended for 6 people.

The seed was Fordhook, so if that grows well in the heat of central Texas, I imagine it will do just fine in northwest Florida. I'm certainly hoping for enough that I have some to give away. And if I wind up being avoided by people afraid that zucchini is next, then there's a chicken coop close by :flower:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I'm with Rainbow on this. One of my favs as well. You should have no problem keeping it going. It is hard to kill with neglect, poison maybe but why!! It does well here in the hot summer and even survives multiple short freezes.

Still have a few plants out there I never pulled. The keep putting on new growth. It's not doing the greatest since we do have freezing temps at night. But the mild winter has not KILLED it. I am sure it will come back strong.

Don't forget the colorful versions make great accents to your flower garden as well. I usually put some in.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I grow swiss chard in TN. It gets bitter in hot 100 deg weather but in the fall when it gets cool the bitter goes away. It is always good in cool weather. I like the red swiss chard the best.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”