SPierce
Greener Thumb

Few questions- it's that time again!

Carrot Question-
Just curious from those with experience.. I had put a container of carrots out for a winter crop, when a terrible ice storm came along and basically killed all the tops (brown and soggy)- for the heck of it, I pulled one today and to my surprise a miniature carrot came up.

The tops are brown and dead- no more, so I know I have to do something with them--- my question is, can I eat them that small, kinda like baby carrots? Are they worthwhile, or should they just go to the compost pile??

Potato Question-

I had some smaller potatoes that I picked last year with my bigger harvest. They are in our pantry in a clear container. I happened to take a peek in there the other day and I (assume) they're sprouting! I.e. there's a long white root coming out from all of them. I suppose this means I can use them for my seed potatoes for next year, but should I leave the root on? Cut it back? Take it off- or just plant them root down, or root up?

Thanks!

It's so warm here, I wish I could start planting already. I just know it's going to snow on me though :(

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Don't know about the potatoes but the carrots should be fine to eat.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You can eat the carrots. If you let them grow this season, they will go to seed instead of putting on a bigger root.

The potatoes can still be eaten too.

If you would rather use them for planting, I would cut them in half if small as a walnut, or 3 to 4 pieces if larger. Leave a couple of eyes on a piece.

Each potato eye can send out a shoot. The shoots have roots and a stem. You can break these off and plant them with the end of the stem at the surface. They are a complete plants and will grow.

You can break all of the sprouts off to help the potatoes keep a little longer for eating. They will re-sprout and send out more sprouts.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Thank you both :D Hopefully this year, I will have more room and a bigger garden!!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”