OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

My First of Anything

Today I just couldn't helped my self and collected a radish, its the only thing that looks ripped out of anything i have planted, its pretty small but ama make every bit worth it, the bottom looks a bit weird is this normal? its split.
[img]https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee442/OROZCOVICTOR/2012-01-31104506.jpg[/img]
Trance Me Away

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

:)

we all have done the same thing, sometimes there is no resisting temptation... lol
Former moderator..

"Everyone's opinion is important. State your opinion and let others express theirs." - Roger (Admin)

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

It was so delicious, Spicy and Wow the Taste cannot compare to the store One, Now I know the Major Difference of Store Food and Home Grown
Trance Me Away

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Sometimes radishes will split. I think it may be due to getting a bit too dry then getting watered. Enjoy your crop!
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I may be wrong, but it looks like it tore open when harvested. It had a definite crease but not split. See the box shape.

Eric

SPierce
Greener Thumb

I love that feeling- Congrats on the first radish!

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Thanks Everyone, Im using this one to check the average radish size, and by the looks of it, I guess im going to add more water and leave them a bit longer
Trance Me Away

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

One more week will make a big difference in size with a radish! I plan on planting radish everywhere this year all kinds! I have several flat coming up now! in the greenhouse! Thanks for the nice picture!
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Nice, I would like to see your pictures, as soon as I pulled this ones out, im going for a second batch with a different varieties that I got my hands on, maybe some beets too
Trance Me Away

Tonio
Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:I may be wrong, but it looks like it tore open when harvested. It had a definite crease but not split. See the box shape.

Eric
Interesting thought, Eric. But is it not due to the conditions Jal -ut suggested - sudden moisture change with added tuggage from compacted soil?
Guess I shouldn't speak, I can grow daikon, but not the common radish , in my new beds
:roll: :wink:

T

EDIT: oroz, congrats on your 1st radish,ain't home grown yummy
San Diego / Z10
-------------------

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Nice radish. Like Bobber said, leave it a little longer and it will get much bigger. I leave some of mine for a long time they get bigger. Radish are really easy to grow IMO.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I am orderin tomorrow fromHPS shrumway a 1/4 pound of french Breakfast radish for $3.95 plus some other things. The french breakfast radish is red with a white tip on the botton and is long like a small stubby carrot nad taste great when young! Agway sells seeds in bulk also. I want to try the radish in early april for a three week cover crop then dig it under!
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Nice I think I have the same type that you speak of, as soon as I collect my radishes once they get bigger I'm going for second batch, and IMO radishes are the easiest fastest growing veggie besides one of my faves, just because they a bit spicy
Trance Me Away

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Tonio wrote:
DoubleDogFarm wrote:I may be wrong, but it looks like it tore open when harvested. It had a definite crease but not split. See the box shape.

Eric
Interesting thought, Eric. But is it not due to the conditions Jal -ut suggested - sudden moisture change with added tuggage from compacted soil?
Guess I shouldn't speak, I can grow daikon, but not the common radish , in my new beds
:roll: :wink:
Just going by what I see. To me, it looks like a obvious hinge. Also most root crops that split callus over. Look at the picture, clean fresh tear.

Congrats on the radish. The beginning of something bigger. 8)

Eric

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Thanks DDF
Trance Me Away

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Oroz, I know the feeling-the thrill of the first anything ! I never could get radishes to grow until I planted them deeper than I had been.
Now I'm a radish pro ! :lol:
Isn't gardening wonderful !
God must think highly of animals - He created them before creating us !

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”