mansgirl

I need help choosing beans!

We've had awful luck with beans in our garden so far. Most of it, I think, is because we don't know what to buy. We want a bush variety, that can handle morning shade. I'd love any and all suggestions! Had terrible luck the past few years.

mansgirl

I'm zone 5 by the way.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

provider is one of my favorite bush beans - somewhat resistant to fungus, so it can be planted into cooler soil than some. good productivity all season. I think I've seen the name in regards to both hybrid and open-pollinated varieties in different places...don't know what's up with that.

in general, I prefer pole beans, but this is a good bush one.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[url=https://gurneys.com/jade-bush-beans/p/66145/]Jade Bush Bean[/url]

I really don't know how it handles shade. As with most garden plants, they would do better with full sun. I sure like this bean.

HannahGrace

We like Blue Lake Bush Beans. Not sure how they handle shade though.

tc_31_fillAmenist

:oops:
Last edited by tc_31_fillAmenist on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I am fairly sure that you will like Royal Burgundy, TC. But, you have to pick them while they are still tender. This is true with Greencrop, which may be my favorite bean. Sometimes, it is listed as a Romano. Greencrop isn't quite what I think of as a Romano, however.

My wife, also likes Jade. I think it could have more flavor but, you probably couldn't find a standard snapbean that is more tender and prolific. I think one of the main reasons DW likes Jade is because it is so pretty :wink: . I can't really say this about Greencrop :roll: .

Mansgirl, you may want to rethink that about wanting a bush variety and go with a climber there in the shade. Having the full season to grow & produce may work better for you. Just a thought . . .

Steve

tc_31_fillAmenist

Last edited by tc_31_fillAmenist on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jnunez918

tc_31_fillAmenist wrote:I'm a novice. I've only grown "White Half Runners", "Kentucky Wonder" and a Wax bush bean.

I had never tried a purple bean until now but "[url=https://www.homedepot.com/buy/outdoors-garden-center-seeds-flowers-herbs-fruits-vegetables/ferry-morse-28-gram-royal-burgundy-garden-beans-seed-154682.html]Royal Burgundy[/url]" seems to be growing well for me, at least in my area, my soil, etc.

These were started at the same time, Royal Burgundys on the left, Wax on the right, probably about 2 1/2 weeks ago and the Burgudys are better than twice as tall as the wax. Still may fail, no idea but they look good so far.

[img]https://chuggersplace.x10hosting.com/images/IMG_5191.JPG[/img]

These are in pretty much full sun but I planted a few along a shady-morning fence where I've been doing okay growing the other beans and they're racing past them there too.

I hadn't tried them before and am yet to get my first harvest so maybe I won't even like them. They seem to be growing vigorously though. Maybe they'd perform similarly in Michigan?
keep us posted, I have royal burgundy seeds so I'm curious at ur progress

tc_31_fillAmenist

Last edited by tc_31_fillAmenist on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

The first time I grew beans, a long, long time ago, I grew Bush Blue Lake. My neighbor, who is a diabetic and eats a lot of beans, told me they were the best beans she had ever eaten, so that's what I grow most of the time. They are incredibly prolific.

floridahillnursery
Cool Member

Hello, I grew up in Midland, Michigan and seem to remember Cherokee Yellow Wax beans doing very well. :D

LLandry11

I'm in Zone 5 as well (New Brunswick, Canada) and last year was my first vegetable garden.
I went with what the experts around here told me, and we had a FANTASTIC harvest of beans.
We planted Provider (like “!potatoes!â€

tc_31_fillAmenist

Last edited by tc_31_fillAmenist on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

I've been on a search for the perfect bean for the last several years, myself. After seeing the way Blue Lakes grew in my uncle's garden last year and tasting them, that is definitely what I am growing this year. As long as they get water, they just keep on producing the tastiest stringless beans I've ever had.

bcallaha
Cool Member

There are several good beans on the market, and everyone has their favorite. I like Blue Lake bush for fresh eating and an extended harvest, and I like Contender for a "all at once" type of harvest, which is good for canning. You have several good suggestions here, and you won't go wrong with any of them.

Brad

tc_31_fillAmenist

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”