jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Price of taters

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/taters_price.jpg[/img]

webmaster
Site Admin

I just paid $1.99/lb for organic yukon gold. :?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

If I'm willing to purchase "natural" Russets ("natural" can be used for non-conventionally grown produce when transitioning from chemical to organic farming) from my neighborhood produce/grocery shop, I can get 5 lb/$1.99 and 10 lb/$2.99.

Yukon Golds are *always* more expensive, but Pete can get the Grade B size, somewhere between creamers and bakers, at 69¢/lb, sometimes. He's even had them at 39¢ once or twice, when the wholesaler had another retail buyer either not buy an entire order or there was a miscommunication. If I want to buy baking-sized, non-blemished Yukon Golds, then yes I'll be paying the big bux....but I gotta say, I love Pete's specials! And they taste absolutely wonderful.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Usually spuds here are under .49 a pound. These must really be something special? They didn't even say "Organic". Made a nice display though.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

Here in Maine I can get 20 pounds for about 5 bucks. Makes sense (sorry Idaho but our spuds are tastier!!). Red potatoes 5 pounds for 3 bucks. I'd like to try growing my own this year but the prices are really great. I think I'll have to do fingerling or something weird to make it worth my while.

Of course, to me, the weirder something is the more I want to grow it!!

greenstubbs

I just paid $1.89 for a 5 lb. bag of russets, lookin forward to tryin a spud condo this year. A couple months ago they were $1.49, I must admit that food prices are starting to get waaaaaaaaay outta hand lately!

jnunez918

My idea on growing potatoes (my first time) is to grow something that would cost a bunch at the store. Why wait months for russets that are super cheap. I have reds, purple and golds on order. Should get here in March. :lol:

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

The best thing you can do is talk to the produce worker.
They mark down and toss out so much stuff.
There was a bag of potatoes he marked it down from 3 bucks to a dollar.
it was starting to grow roots.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”