GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Cross your finger for me

I transplanted my Yacon today and separated "the twins" that were growing together. Initially, they didn't seem to love what I had done.

Upon removing the plants from the 5" pot they were started in I could see that there were two tubers already growing. Each about 2" long and 3/8" wide. Of course, both broke off while I was tickling the roots apart. :( :::heartbroken:::. But if anyone is wondering what a very juvenile yacon root tastes like, the answer is a VERY mild carrot and not quite as crunchy.

Eventually I got the two plants apart, broke the rhizome, and replanted. It was 65 degrees outside today so I did it outside since the temps should have been comparable to my basement only with a slight breeze and stronger sunlight. They started to wilt a little, hopefully just from the shock of being outside. But I got them in new soil that I mixed up just for them, top dressed with about 1/2 cup of worm castings each, watered in, and brought back inside a little bit further from the lights than they were originally.

Now I'm waiting impatiently to see that they perk back up. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be ok! :lol: :roll:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Its going to take a little while for the roots to get back in contact with the soil again. Keep them watered good for a couple of days. Good Luck.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

The leaves are stiffening back up this evening and they're looking better already. :wink: Not droopy at all, one leaf is cocked to the side. (I think I hit it with the shovel when I was outside.) I think they'll be fine. I have to rig up a light just for those two plants since they won't fit on the shelves anymore. They look like they'll be ready to be back under the lights tomorrow morning.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”